Author Topic: New Bowl  (Read 4176 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
New Bowl
« on: January 12, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »
Hi All

Has some of you know, I started turning a couple of weeks ago, I went on a two day course last week with Tom Pockley http://www.woodturneruk.com/ This is how I got started my wife sent me on a course with Tom for a birthday present which I did mid November, well any how I started this bowl at 8pm last night and before I knew where I was it was 3am and this is what came out of the shavings!!!

It's a bit of ash and the bowl is 410mm in diameter and a little over 60mm high.

Hopefully you can see an improvement on my first couple.

Thanks

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: New Bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 06:36:17 AM »
Well done, Ed...that's quite a step forward. For a beginner, that's a massive piece of ash to start on and you did well to keep the knotty part intact. With time, you'll get better at blending the various shapes into curves that flow effortlessly into each other, but for an early attempt at a bowl, you should be well pleased with this.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:36:01 PM »
i concur wit les, very nice.

just from a personal point i would have turned the bowl the other way around, this way you retain the lovely olive ash part running through the bottom of the bowl as you look in the top.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »
Ed, that is quite an achievement, your own personal design on a piece of such size, and given the somewhat wild grain pattern and knotted areas.

Your tooling looks excellent and as you don't look to have applied a finish as yet, if one thing you're able to remount an give some further sanding, just go back as far to remove the slight sanding marks present .. as time did runout on you a bit ..  as a finish now, will highlight such sanding marks.

Again one really nice piece to keep, if not, as we find the wife has already, you can look back on it in a few months/years time and reference your progression.

Well done.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 05:36:02 PM »
Hi Guy's

thank you for your feedback, I can re-mount David I have an external dovetail in the base and I had already planed on doing this as there are a couple of marks that I spotted once I up loaded the photos.

Thanks again

Ed

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »
Hi Guy's

thank you for your feedback, I can re-mount David I have an external dovetail in the base and I had already planed on doing this as there are a couple of marks that I spotted once I up loaded the photos.

Thanks again

Ed

Hi Ed,  It's funny how a picture can throw light on the slightest sanding mark ... it's like daylight as well .. these things will not show up under lamp or workshop light most times .. I've been there ..  :D ..

You're going to get one stunning piece of Ash, here to looks back on once finished. What do you plan on using.

Cheers  David

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 07:57:33 AM »
Strange, I wrote a reply to this yesterday and thought I'd posted it, but ....!

Ed, this is your 3rd posting and each is a magnetude better than the last. This 16" platter is a fantastic piece for someone who only started turning late last year.

Not detracting from the platter, if I can make a comment about something else you said, 3am finish.

Wood turning is a Lone Occupation and accidents do happen. And if you are out there until that time in the nightwhen something untoward happens you'll likely not be found until the morning. Yes, it's wonderful to be so captivated by what you are doing, but it's also necessary to consider personal safety and risk.

I don't want to bang on the H&S Drum, but the worst times for accidents are when we are learning (and don't know), and when we think we know it all (and become overly familier), so please be careful.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 06:50:43 AM »
Hi David

My plan was to just use beeswax

Ed

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 07:02:18 PM »
Hi David

My plan was to just use beeswax

Ed

Hi Ed, Sorry not to have replied yet, I see you've asked on finishing in another thread.

There is no limit to the finishes today, the early years when I started the most favored ones then were Cellulose Sanding Sealer, Melamine Gloss Lacquer, Danish oil and Carnauba wax stick, not together nor in that order, (well CSS & MGL) and as I've still got most of them, as the other replies to the thread, I'll go for the Danish oil, which I like to use on Ash, their not the only ones, I've got Friction Polish and Microcrystalline Wax, even Beeswax as well.

A finish can need to reflect the possible use, food safe, durable or decorative etc.

Look forward to the finished piece.

Cheers  David