Author Topic: Wild Cherry'  (Read 2675 times)

Clavico

Wild Cherry'
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:11:27 PM »

African Blackwood and Wild Cherry Hollow Form  - 5 1/2" x 6"

Finial is removable

Blackwood insert and ring with brass filings

Danish Oil Finish

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:14:56 PM by Clavico »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Wild Cherry'
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »
Beautiful wood Clavico. I like the shape as well, nice curves. Not 100% sure of the finial, personally would have preferred it a little longer or maybe a horizontal style to contrast with the shape of the form but as always, personal opinion. It works as is but we all have our own individual preferences

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 05:52:42 PM »

Hi Clavico. this is for sure Wild .. stunning, beautiful grian, classic form, detail and finish, like it.

As Pete, I'm not sure on the finial, then we can get set in the norm. with what has been done over and over again, as it should be tall and slender in form.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »
Hi Clavico,
This really is a beautiful piece of timber and beautifully turned,the brass filings inlay work is very effective.
The finial is also beautifully turned but I think the short teardrop looks a bit heavy and draws your eye away from the form,only my opinion and sorry to sound a bit negative. I wouldn't say no to it on my mantlepiece.
Regards
Roderick
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:06:57 PM »
Clavico,

Wild Cherry, wild grain, is there a little rot/spalting in it to cause some of those colours?

I like the finial, maybe the top of the capstan (bit under the teardrop is a bit wide) but the curves are all correct, so it holds the eye nicely.

The bit I'm not sure about and it's difficult to see, there is a step in the under-curve of the shape, why, what does it offer the eye, I cannot make out it's place in the turning from the photo, does it look better from a different angle?

I'm not saying it's wrong, but that from the photo, it's reason is not discernibly.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Clavico

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 08:57:19 PM »
Thanks so much everyone for your comments, I appreciate it.  I tend to be a maverick sometimes and not do what a lot successful turners have done, i.e. the long finial. This form with a long slender finial is the norm, I know.  Also the stop or lip toward the bottom of the vessel is also just something different which no one else has done.  Does it all work? For some no and for some yes.  Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.
The wood wasn't punky but solid. Another six months outside (I brought it into the shop last spring) and it would have been unusable. I will make something with a long slender finial this summer if I can think of a way to make it a bit different.
Thanks again, Robert

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 03:37:41 PM »
I think it looks smashing as it is,love the spalting in the grain and the detailing at the top,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world