Author Topic: Spalted Poplar  (Read 4761 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Spalted Poplar
« on: February 03, 2014, 04:13:28 PM »
Well having finally finished the water & heating systems replacement, followed by the kitchen and Bathroom rebuild, over the last 4 months I have finally got time to get back in the workshop. Needing to get my tool muscles working again, I decide on nothing too difficult.

I was given some Poplar by a friend in the summer, normally I'd have said no thanks, but it has spalting on the growth wood. So I had to have a go. I was please to see a bit of ripple in the heartwood, it may be just visible in the photos.

I've turned American Tulip Wood, one variant of poplar, but this English stuff...

...it turns like hard cotton wood, fluffy and horrible, except under a sharp skew, but even then the most important tool was that multi-faceted tool (Abrasive Paper).

Anyway here is a Vase 230mm x 115mm (9” x 4½”), finished with cellulose sanding sealer (lost of) and wax polish.

C&C as you will and thanks for looking.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Spalted Poplar
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 05:41:13 PM »

A nice piece  Bryan the spalting is very striking and an exceptional finish for poplar.

Bet it was good to be back in the workshop..

Tony and Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:57:28 PM »
Hi,Lovely piece of work. I like the challenge of these not so popular woods (Horse Chestnut, Silver birch And some heavily spalted to the point of rot) I find a generous coat of danish oil allowed to soak in, on the roughed-out item, then left to dry hard, works better than sanding sealer, this is then turned to a finish. Your chosen finish can then be used.
John
John English

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 08:10:01 PM »
Tony,

The photo's make the spalting look a little weaker than it is, but having seen your work in real life and photo's I'm sure you understand that light from the flash washes some things out. I will admit that I was supposed that the finish was as good as it is.

At the start I was convinced that I'd have nothing more than a bit of practice and finally throw it in the bin, as the first few cuts really 'fluffed' up.

John,

I've never heard of your method of stabilising soft timber, I've some more of this poplar, I might have to try it. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:36:09 PM »
Hi Bryan....good to see some of your work on here. You have my sympathy, indeed. I turned a big piece of spalted poplar for the Celtic-design platter that I made at Christmas time, and it was a pig to turn as it just wanted to tear-out all over the place, so goodness knows how you coped deep down inside that vase.

Great piece.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 09:16:30 PM »
Les,

the inside is nearly as good as the outside, I could get abrasive inside okay, except the very bottom, there was no deep hollowing tool or scraper arrangement I could find that would not tear out the soft wood.

I managed to sand it to a nearly reasonable finish, but there is still some damage. It was quite difficult getting abrasive 8" inside a vase.

I've more work in-hand and part finished, I'll post as they are finished.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »

Hi Bryan, good to read the house is now straight and Rosemary happy with the work.. it's hoped.

Glad you've made a return to the workshop and the piece had made it into completion, if but the hard way .. sanding, this can be a job to keep the form with spalted alone, then to be 'fluffy' as well.

Done a good job, made a nice piece of it in the end.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 10:36:15 PM »
Hi Bryan
It's always nice to get back into the workshop after a break. Nice simple form and lovely spalting,lovely finish. Strange thing is I started turning a piece of spalted poplar yesterday as well, and I was given a few logs last summer! I decided to wet turn a hollow form, got a lovely finish on the outside(surprisingly) but when I started hollowing :'(..............what a nightmare! It's in a plastic bag full of shavings for a few weeks at least. I'll post it when I've tackled it next, good or bad!
Regards
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 11:41:33 PM »
David, I was lucky it took to the skew. I was able to start sanding at 150 and work down to 400. At least on the outside.
Yes Rosemary is feeling happier now she can unpack her kitchen properly.
And it's great to be back at the lathe. I've had enough paint and tiling for a while now thanks.

Rod, I sympathise on the inside, although my wood must have been dryer it still fought me to a reasonable finish.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 12:25:31 PM »
David, I was lucky it took to the skew. I was able to start sanding at 150 and work down to 400. At least on the outside.
Yes Rosemary is feeling happier now she can unpack her kitchen properly.
And it's great to be back at the lathe. I've had enough paint and tiling for a while now thanks.

Rod, I sympathise on the inside, although my wood must have been dryer it still fought me to a reasonable finish.

150 .. after a finish off the skew ... most tool finishes leave for at best 180 .. even pine (red wood) I've only hit with 240 .. or hand full of shavings for newels.

Should be fine now for Tea & Cake on calling ...   ;D ... still need to bring one's own mug (LARGE is fine) ..  ;) ..

cheers  David

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 08:19:02 PM »
Should be fine now for Tea & Cake on calling ...   ;D ... still need to bring one's own mug (LARGE is fine) ..  ;) ..

cheers  David

David,

Sorry, I've been away for a few days. But during the time I managed my first visit to another forum members workshop. Very interesting and useful visit, and a nice cup of tea as well, so now looking forward to the first to want to visit me.

When can I expect you?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 01:07:33 AM »

cheers  David

David,

Sorry, I've been away for a few days. But during the time I managed my first visit to another forum members workshop. Very interesting and useful visit, and a nice cup of tea as well, so now looking forward to the first to want to visit me.

When can I expect you?

IF .. If I keep working hard... The boss might let me go to Yandles .. so between there and my Sister .. or it's just at Yandles.

It would be nice to revist Lake Locking ...   ;D ..

Anyone Passing by on the M6/M6T, A5 or A34 are welcome .. tea optional .. no HGV/LGVs sorry small close... nor parking in front of No 4 ..

Cheers David