Author Topic: Wabi sabi vase  (Read 2755 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Wabi sabi vase
« on: March 11, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »
This made of old (very old) chestnut and stands 12" tall and 7" max. dia. All splits, natural holes etc have been left open and where needed sanded clean. C&C welcome as always.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Wabi sabi vase
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 10:50:38 PM »
Love It!!!

You certainly have some interesting wood.

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 06:05:55 AM »
Hi Pete...another interesting piece and no doubt that this piece could well develop more natural features in the days following its turning. I sometimes wonder about the thoughts of our customers when they buy wabi sabi items.....if they but because they appreciate the natural beauty, and a week after they buy something it develops another crack, do they regret that it 'broke', or celebrate that they got yet another natural feature for free?

By the way....2 questions...is the vessel hollowed or drilled out and what's the neck-ring made of?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 08:00:06 AM »
Thank you both.
When selling pieces like this I stress that the change in environment could affect the  piece and that it is an ongoing process. Generally I wouldn't sell though until the piece is dry anyway but with modern central heating any wood can move or split. All these pieces are hollowed out though how much depends on the wood condition. I try and go below 10mm where possible but when there are a lot of natural defects I sometimes have to leave it a bit thicker or lose the thing altogether./ The rings between the neck and body and the foot and body are old naturally ebonised oak.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:10:52 PM »

Hi Pete, I just love the ruggedness of the piece, you've definitely found a market and name for yourself with Wabi sabi .. Like the accent of the two rings, could take them as being rubber rings.

They're a piece that has to be turned and finished straight through as once it moves there's no return, let alone if it splits.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »
This has everything, natural stress cracks, bark, heartwood cracks...

...natural colours, shape, height...

I can see this sitting on a display shelf as a centrepiece of someones collection.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!