Author Topic: Rustic hollow form  (Read 2587 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Rustic hollow form
« on: March 04, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »
Still ion the wabi sabi ethos using wood that perhaps some would throw on the fire. This one is apple, 7" tall and 3" max. diameter. C&C welcome as always.

Pete

Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Rustic hollow form
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 08:53:55 PM »
Pete,

that is one beautifully ugly piece of timber. You've left the wall a little on the thick side, but you were working the timber and so there must be a reason for it you understand.

The pewter rim looks thick and heavy, and knowing the cost of pewter it must add a lot to the piece, here I'm thinking of your pocket, not the appearance to the prospective purchaser.

But do I like it, oh yes. I have some logs like this in the back of my timber store, you're giving me the confidence to get them out and have a gp myself. Please don't stop posting turnings like these.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »
Pete I echo Bryan's points and also echo his like too.
Rustic turning can be very difficult to achieve properly but I think you may have done it again on this occasion.

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 09:22:05 PM »
Hi Pete

It's the second photo that does it for me, now that's what I call rustic ;) If the wall was thinner I don't think it would have the same dramatic effect. I really like this one, and the pewter ring also works well. Overall a very nice piece.
p.s.  I've just checked the Yandles website and see that you are demonstrating there, will you have this with you so we can see it in the flesh?

Regards
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:59:47 PM »
Thank you for the comments.

I had little choice about leaving the walls thick as the area of bark was very fragile. I did wrap it in cling film and take it as far as I dared but it was either risk it further and take the chance that it would blow on me or play safe.

Pewter is expensive ...................unless you have the same source as me. I have a contact who saves the bits that come into a charity shop for me that I melt down.

If I still have it in April I could take it to Yandles along with other pieces like this as I am thinking of doing this sort of thing in demonstration.

Pete

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:05:08 PM »
Stunning!!! I don't know why people think thin is best the timber must dictate the thickness surely and this look's very suited to being thick

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 08:01:33 AM »
All to often you hear comments from those not into woodturning asking why are the walls so thin. I know there are design implications and in Pete's case the difference between a success or not but it is only us turners that look at the wall thickness.
regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 08:06:49 AM »
Agreed John. When I started doing this sort of thing I felt that I was failing if I didn't get down to at least 5mm but half the time the holes I turn through are too small for people's fingers anyway so how will anyone know. There are times when it is right to turn thin but it isn't mandatory. Nor practical if it is a user.

Pete

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 10:28:55 AM »
I think it looks great,its the bark inclusion and swirley grain that does it for me,I love these type of turnings,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 06:18:09 PM »
Hat off to you for turning a piece of wood that many would have delegated to the wood burner pile. Love the turning and understand the reasons for leaving the walls thicker than many would expect. As you say there are times when thicker is better.

I like the contrast with the new pewter(even though it will probably dull down) I personally would have like to see the pewter not so thick. From the photo's it looks like the pewter is off centre.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »
Thank you for the comments etc. The pewter is slightly off centre Derek well spotted LOL. I took the piece off the lathe to let it settle as it was wet wood and when I put it back to finish the hole had moved OK the wood had moved and the hole wasn't exactly central anymore. I find that turning wood like tghis you can spend ages trying to get it perfect or accept the natural discrepancies for what they are. Tooling etc needs to be as good as you8 can get but the wood and it's natural faults is all part of the piece. Not everyones cup of tea perhaps but within the 'wabi sabi' ethos

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 06:29:40 PM »
Certainly can't fault the turning, shame about the wood moving. How did you attach the pewter, forgot to mention that I liked the added decoration to the top of the pewter

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
I glue the pewter down with epoxy. CA glue works but can get brittle and isn't the best whereas epoxy fills any small fissures etc in the wood and the metal.

Pete

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 07:09:15 PM »

Pete, it sure is ugly in a nice way, the pewter is OTT.. it's to thick or is it, it lacks flows, then you'd not have got the chatter work.

Wall thickness, is like how a foot is finishes or not .. it's turners who only ever make a point about it, as long as the wall is an even thickness throughout, it only drying time that is ever affected. And you can have as has happened it movers..   :( ..

Like it for the Apple, nicely done form.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''