Author Topic: Acrylic sealer  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Acrylic sealer
« on: March 09, 2014, 04:05:13 PM »
I need to use acrylic sander sealer for one of my turnings, unfortunately I don't have any could I use a thinned coat of acrylic varnish as a substitute.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Acrylic sealer
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 05:12:11 PM »
I see no reason why you shouldn't, it will seal after all but what would you thin it with?water? I would be inclined to use 2 or so coats and rub down inbetween.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »
This might sound strange but from my days of painting small figures (Dungeons & Dragons). Acrylic paint thinner is Isopropyl Alcohol (Surgical Spirit) - yes water can be used but it tends to separate out the pigment if made too thin.

Yes I know we are talking about varnish here, but just offering another choice of thinners.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:53:17 PM »
Thank you all for the reply

This might sound strange but from my days of painting small figures (Dungeons & Dragons). Acrylic paint thinner is Isopropyl Alcohol (Surgical Spirit) - yes water can be used but it tends to separate out the pigment if made too thin.

Yes I know we are talking about varnish here, but just offering another choice of thinners.

Nothing is strange anymore I use to make model boats. I am only looking at thinning with water to about 10% as that is what is recommended on the bottle if I was just varnishing, but I want to paint some acrylic paint on before finishing with a protective finish.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 11:03:13 PM »

Hi Derek. The wife got me involved (as usual) with her finishing ACEO wooden plaques, these she had painted/drawn on with both Acrylic paints and inks.. It ended with needing to find an inexpensive way to spray the varnish finish, elsewise brushing would pull the pictures/text, less like you consider and to thin it down would stop that happening should you be brushing it on.

Hope it's of help.   Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 05:08:35 PM »
From all the answers that I got on different forums I gave the thinned varnish a go and it worked fine.

This all started when I saw an article in the Woodturner magazine by Nick Arnull and thought that I would give colouring a go,

This one is going in the bin the wood is terrible but it did me for the test of the colouring.

The only colours I had are red, black, white and flesh (all used on my santa carving that I done) except for one point on the colouring top left I am pretty pleased with the outcome. Now all I need to do is buy some more colours.

I want too do more

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 08:31:40 PM »
Derek,

Might have been better posted in the Gallery, but,

the colours work for me, especially as you say you have such a small range of colours.

As for the wood, I'm going to have a punt at iroko, and if I'm right I'll ask you to avoid it if possible. It's not a nice wood to breath in, none are really but iroko is very unpleasant and harmful to the lungs.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:11:03 PM »
Derek,

Might have been better posted in the Gallery, but,

the colours work for me, especially as you say you have such a small range of colours.

As for the wood, I'm going to have a punt at iroko, and if I'm right I'll ask you to avoid it if possible. It's not a nice wood to breath in, none are really but iroko is very unpleasant and harmful to the lungs.

Thank you dr4g0nfly suitable protection was worn regardless of the type of wood. The bowl was not completed and was destined for the great burner in the sky so I used it as a decorating practice piece, so not suitable for the Gallery.

The good thing is I have learnt a little from it. Luckily the 4 colours I had went together in as much as the base coat was white with small dabs of the flesh followed by the red and black.

Good job the black toned down the red as it was a bit bright.