Author Topic: spirals and voids  (Read 4343 times)

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
spirals and voids
« on: March 18, 2014, 12:37:29 AM »
Something a little different Spirals over a couple of voids on some Eucalyptus burr. Its previous piece I decided to rework as it didnt sell.

Finished with Satin WOP and a wax over finish buffed, 16cmx10cm

comments and critiques welcome

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: spirals and voids
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:21:11 AM »
Very nice Hughie, well done.
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:26:49 AM »
I  don't know what it was like before you reworked it but I do like this. Not usually a fan of wood like this being decorated in any way but the spiral work doesn't detract from the natural beauty of the wood IMHO.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 02:37:18 PM »

Hi Hughie, it always sooo' nice to see your work and this has turned spiraled into a stunning beauty, not so easy to have kept the line with the voids .. but as you're a past master, still from the looks of the piece, you could have had mary pieces at anytime, do I see a little reinforcement, inlay/patchwork.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »
looks great,nice bit of reworking with the spirals,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 08:19:04 PM »
Very nice piece of work and wood !!  How do you cut the spirals ?  and do you have problems leaving the wood thick enough  to accommodate the depth of cutting for the spirals ?

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 10:15:59 PM »

Hi Hughie, it always sooo' nice to see your work and this has turned spiraled into a stunning beauty, not so easy to have kept the line with the voids .. but as you're a past master, still from the looks of the piece, you could have had mary pieces at anytime, do I see a little reinforcement, inlay/patchwork.

Cheers  David

You have good eye sight David. There a couple of spots on the upper half and around the major dia that I had to stitch up with CA and small amount of filler. As it was literally starting to fly apart, sort of opening up like a flower.
This is the first I have done with voids as nearly all my  burrs are solid, its been my intention to do a few more when the opportunity presents.
Thanks to all the guy for your positive comments, much appreciated, especially with the first  of anything.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 10:17:57 PM »
Very nice piece of work and wood !!  How do you cut the spirals ?  and do you have problems leaving the wood thick enough  to accommodate the depth of cutting for the spirals ?

Twig if you go to woodturners unlimited there a tutorial I wrote on the basics of cutting spirals http://www.woodturnersunlimited.com/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 11:09:22 PM »
Hughie,

this must have been harder to hold together than the last piece you posted here. You say you 'stitched it together' in a couple of spaces, methinks there is a trick or two more than you admit.

The continuity of the spiral work through the void is excellent, almost as of you created the void after finishing. I know you didn't but that's what the accuracy of the work almost gives.

This one should sell swiftly now.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 11:49:42 PM »
Hughie, Yep can't fault the eyes, then your sharp pictures help.

Good link http://www.woodturnersunlimited.com/index.php/tutorials/11-sculpting-spirals-on-a-bowl on how it's done, one for ron' when I've more time to read.. did pickup on 'A shop made extended power sanding head' cylinder head valve ..  exhaust, big diesel !! used at that.. days I could get my hands on those and laped a few more.

Rest of the kit we'd have to improvise with what we have over here.. but should make a similar job of it.. in time.

Cheers David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 09:03:22 PM »
Hughie , thanks for the link .. some interesting stuff on there ... Cutting those spirals is very laborious , but the results of that labour is worthwhile , that is the essence of our  craft/art I suppose , good results very rarely come easy !!!  I initially thought you had some kind of router set  up , not sure if it is do-able that way , but was my first thought .   thanks ....