Author Topic: Beech platter with Lapis Lazuli stones  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Beech platter with Lapis Lazuli stones
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:46:38 PM »

This platter has been turned from a 20" x 2" beech blank which had been cut and seasoned several years ago and which I found among a large batch of blanks that I bought recently. The finishing process involed sanding, starting at 120 grit, then up to 600 grit, all done using Abranet abrasive mesh. The surface has been brush-painted with 3 coats of Danish Oil, then cut back with 600 grit abrasive, buffed and waxed using a micro-crystaline, water resistant wax, then buffed again using 8" buffing wheels on my lathe.

I set out to design and make a platter in the general style of the Arts and Crafts movement of the late 19th Century, in which traditional skills and a romantic sense of decoration were frequently used. My original design involved pyro-etching a border onto the rim of the platter, with four Lapis Lazuli polished gem-stones set into the design. However, once the platter was turned I had a change of opinion about the suitability of the design for this particular piece of timber. The grain was more heavily spalted than I had thought that it would be, which posed two problems. Firstly, it seemed a shame to cover up much of the spalting with pyro-engraving, and secondly, the result might well have been too 'fussy' and over decorative for my original intention. I took a few days to decide what to do next, then remounted the platter on the lathe, using the chuck-socket that I had cut into the underside, but in those few days the platter had warped considerably and was now more than a quarter of an inch off being flat, so next, I placed the platter on a flat surface in the house, with a series of weights on top of it, and left it there for a couple of months, after which it had returned to being quite flat, but had shrunk across its grain by three-eighths of an inch.

By this time I was confident that my decision not to go ahead with the pyro-engraving was justified and I also decided to set just three stones into the border, instead of four. To set the stones, I turned three cushion-mounts out of a piece of beech. Each mount had a tenon on the underside, 1.5 inches diameter, x 0.25 inches long and I then drilled corresponding recesses in the platter rim, using the indexing head on my lathe to mark out the positions.

With the stones glued into place, I then attempted to reverse mount the platter to remove the chuck-socket. I normally do this on a large, plywood disc that I have made, using wooden buttons to hold my platters in place, but the shrinkage of the platter since it was first turned made this system a little unsafe, so I substituted the wooden buttons with a set of wooden cams that I turned, which allowed me to center the platter to within a very fine tolerance, then screw the cams down tightly, using 0.25" screws and wing-nuts. Thus the underside was skimmed, the chuck-socket removed and the surface marked out for the pyro-work involved in putting my name, timber species etc onto it. I have set a hanging-wire onto the underside, so that the platter can be wall-hung, but it can also be used as a platter, hence the choice of finish. The hanging-wire is made of solid silver wire, with silver crimp-ends to hold it in place. this has been drilled through a three-eighths" square 'foot' that I have turned into the underside.

C&C always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Beech platter with Lapis Lazuli stones
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
You following me Les? LOL. I did something like this in walnut using turquoise stones some time ago. I like the idea but personally would have used smaller stones though that is personal preference. Otherwise can't fault it  >:(

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:58:27 PM »
Hi Pete.....I didn't set out specifically to follow a piece of your work, but, having said that, your work is always an inspiration to me, so if it's there in the back of my mind it's going to come to the fore-front sooner or later.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 10:16:30 PM »
I was just kidding don't worry LOL. We seem to have very similar ideas and taste though, though I don't think I have matured in my turning as fast as you are.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 11:39:06 PM »
Les

First class turning as always, I like the way you have also detailed the project for other to follow and understand the process.

Ed

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 05:19:36 PM »

A very well turned and well finished platter Les.    Think our imagination has gone into overdrive  the spalting looks
    like the sea is coming in on the beach.

Di and Tony

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:30:14 PM »
Les,

sounds like you had a bit of a battle with this one, warping and shrinking. Still you won out in the end and to great effect it is very pretty and a dramatic piece.

I can see the Arts & Crafts in it but not sure that they would have used spalted timber (someone prove me wrong please).

But at 20" with the stone buttons (studs) all it's missing is a centre boss to be a bucker (small shield).
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 03:11:58 AM »
Well this is very different and the stone goes well with the whole piece, gets my vote.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 06:20:54 PM »
Les

I like this very much, glad to hear you are keeping busy and it is good to see you developing more work.