Author Topic: Hollow forms  (Read 4517 times)

Mark Sanger

Hollow forms
« on: April 10, 2014, 10:35:55 AM »
Hi all

Not posted in a while so thought I would get back to it.

here are some hollow forms recently finished around 150mm dia x 100 high (ish), all spalted woods of Ash, Beech Sycamore.

Finished with cellulose sanding sealer (liquid type as apposed to aerosol), buffed with 2-3 coats of Renaissance wax buffed with a soft wheel.

C&C welcome

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Hollow forms
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 11:38:35 AM »
Usual lovely shapes and form Mark. Plain by your standards, no colour or carved finials, but definitely no worse for that LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »
Mark,

what can I say, each one is perfect in every curve even when I can see the subtle differences in those curves.

You're making the timber speak and all it's talking about is how attractive wood can be, and the grain differences between them, though for me it's the first Ash form with it's strange radial rings running through the annual rings that shouts loudest to me.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »
There I am, plucking up the courage to have a go at turning my own first hollow form and along comes Mark and posts 5 of them in one go! C'est la vie!

Seriously, though, Mark....this is the sort of stuff that I sometimes aspire to, but I need to get my tool control a little better honed before I try it (and I probably won't be posting my first few attempts).

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 10:10:08 PM »
Hi Mark
Been a while since I've posted anything,been busy making enough stock for one week exhibition/craft fair next week.

Beautiful examples again turned to perfection with a lovely choice of timber that didn't need texturing or colouring.
See you in Yandles Saturday.

Regards, Roderick
p.s. Getting on great with the Crown Mini Hollowing tool I bought from you Christmas
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 11:32:17 PM »
They are all stunning

I was hoping to see you do something like this at the demo last Saturday.

Ed

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 11:40:22 PM »

Been trying to work out what it is with them ..   :-\ .. tooo good as usual .. then after so long it's to remember your work.. must get to finish your book... informative read so far.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
great forms, love 'em
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 03:14:26 AM »
T

Seriously, though, Mark....this is the sort of stuff that I sometimes aspire to, but I need to get my tool control a little better honed before I try it (and I probably won't be posting my first few attempts).

Les

Les most of us post the best ones.... only. :)

Mark these are very sweet forms and  done to your usual level of expertise and perfection.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 06:19:12 PM »
Hi all

Thank you very much for your comments about the forms and my book.

Despite the coloured and sculptural work that I very much enjoy making, I too make a great deal of pure work as I love the natural look of wood.

Ed

Sorry I did not do one of these, but I do so many hollow forms and for the most (turning out the inside) for those watching it is like watching paint dry. ( but I am use to these so I don't wreck them less than other pieces)  :D :D

If I am invited again I will do one Blue Peter style with a cut out side so people can see the tool cutting inside the form.

David

Thank you and thank you for the comments about my book. It make all the hard work worth while (and the grey hairs).

Hughie

thank you, your right, the ones of mine that don't make the mark go on the fire wood pile thing is I don't have a wood burner but I keep a friend warm over winter. :D :D

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 06:57:11 PM »
Hi Mark

I'm having a go with a hollow form at the moment, the opening is larger but it's a first attempt using the Revolution hollowing system fingers crossed I don't come straight out the back :) :)

Hopefully your back next year, I would love to see the master in action, if it helps your more than welcome to stay at our house to save that monster drive all in one day.

Ed

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 08:23:47 PM »
Hi Mark  --  It was good to see you and George again at Yandles today, really enjoyed the day and lots of demos to see. Should be trying out some new techniques over the next few weeks. Oh ! and thanks for signing the book as well, it just makes it that much more special.   Best Regards -- Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 08:19:54 PM »

See you sneaked these on when we had set off  :). They are all exceptional Mark.
      It was good to see you at the weekend and have a chat.
        Tony and Diane
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Mark Sanger

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 05:03:09 PM »
Hi Mark

I'm having a go with a hollow form at the moment, the opening is larger but it's a first attempt using the Revolution hollowing system fingers crossed I don't come straight out the back :) :)

Hopefully your back next year, I would love to see the master in action, if it helps your more than welcome to stay at our house to save that monster drive all in one day.

Ed

Hi Ed

I hope you get on with your hollow form ok, I wouldn't worry too much about going through the base, we all do it and unless you are making fubars, then you are not pushing your self and so won't progress. At least that is what I tell myself. :)

Thanks for the offer, I also received such a kind offer from another member at your club, if I come back I know I can stay over with one of you, so thank you. I am however heavily cutting back on my demos for the next few years as I find the travelling and time away from the workshop, hits into my making and developing of new work, it is also good to have a break from time to time.

Catch up soon.   

Mark Sanger

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 05:10:11 PM »
Hi Mark  --  It was good to see you and George again at Yandles today, really enjoyed the day and lots of demos to see. Should be trying out some new techniques over the next few weeks. Oh ! and thanks for signing the book as well, it just makes it that much more special.   Best Regards -- Julian

Hi Julian

Good to meet up and have a chat, your welcome ref the book, quite a few people did the same and I was privileged to obliged.  Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the hollowing, any probs give me a call or email, always happy to help.

Hi Tony

Always good to catch up with you and Diane at the show. Thanks for your comments ref the forms, they were all on the table behind me at Yandles so hopefully you managed to stick your finger in them to check the wall thickness,  i'll know soon enough if you did as I smeared slow release anthrax inside of each one. :D :D :D :D :D

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:46:14 PM »
Hi Mark

I put my first hollow form in the gallery last week, if you have a moment when your on next, take a look and let me know what you think.

I don't blame you for cutting down on the demo's the traveling must be a killer, the offer always there should you be down this way in Kent.

Ed