Author Topic: Saying hello  (Read 7427 times)

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
  • A Kildare Man living in Saline, Fife. Scotland
Saying hello
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »
Hi All

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a real newbie! I bought a second hand DML36SH and some tools from a friend of mine. Just getting to grips with everything. I'm based in Saline, Fife. Anyone nearby I could pester for tips?!

Regards

Conviction will divide many, doubt will unite them

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Saying hello
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 01:15:14 PM »
Saline,

Just to welcome you to the forum, Hi and welcome.

Anyone nearby will speak up, and I hope there is someone, it's the easiest way to learn, I'd also suggest seeing if there is a club within your area you can attend.

But otherwise please ask. We're a friendly bunch and will answer any and all questions.

You'll not be the first we've helped over the forum, nor that last.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:13:01 PM »
We're a friendly bunch and will answer any and all questions....You'll not be the first we've helped over the forum, nor that last.

I'll second that! A little over a year ago, I was in exactly the position that you find yourself now. The amount of advice that I had from this forum has been remarkably helpful....give it a go.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 06:28:08 PM »

Welcome to Wood Turning and the Forum, as said we're all here to help, and besides that there's the search box top right of each page which links to any reference you're after.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 08:30:13 PM »
Hi Saline

I've only been on here around 3 months and find people very helpful.

I hope that you enjoy your wood turning

Ed

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 08:43:20 PM »
Hi Saline, Welcome to the Forum. Regards John
John Smith

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:01:36 AM »
First thing I've noticed on my lathe is that the toolrest does not have enough travel to put it low enough below the centre line for turning the inside of bowls. I contacted Record Power via email on Saturday to ask for advise, and got a reply this morning from a chap called Lee who is sending out a lower one to try. What excellent service!!
Thank you all for your kind words of welcome.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 01:52:27 PM »
First thing I've noticed on my lathe is that the toolrest does not have enough travel to put it low enough below the centre line for turning the inside of bowls. I contacted Record Power via email on Saturday to ask for advise, and got a reply this morning from a chap called Lee who is sending out a lower one to try. What excellent service!!
Thank you all for your kind words of welcome.

I recall this same issue with a record lathe coming up before in a thread, may not have been on this forum. 

Thoughts were at the time, the slide had been supplied wrong for the lathe in the first place or been changed at some point, or that the rest could be wrong. A replacement slide was also sent and this had the same problem, hope I'm wrong and this will not be your case.

Will watch for the outcome.   David

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 03:54:29 PM »
I've alsi seen this reported and when I bought my lathe from Axminster 2 years ago, the rest was unable to go down far enough.

it's almost as if new lathes come with rests that are designed for the same mode of scraping, not cutting.

Hopefully Record will sort you out. If not have a chat at a nearby engineering works and explain the problem, I had a 7" & 4" rest made for the princely sum of £10.

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 03:59:56 PM »
I've alsi seen this reported and when I bought my lathe from Axminster 2 years ago, the rest was unable to go down far enough.

it's almost as if new lathes come with rests that are designed for the same mode of scraping, not cutting.

Hopefully Record will sort you out. If not have a chat at a nearby engineering works and explain the problem, I had a 7" & 4" rest made for the princely sum of £10.

Had Record not come up with the goods, that would have been my next move. I intended bring the rest I have to them and requesting that they grind 10mm off the top and re bevel it. If the solution provided by RP is a non starter, that is the avenue I'll take, or as you suggest have them make a rest form scratch for me.

I wait in hopeful anticipation!!!

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
......by them, I mean some local engineer yet to be identified!!!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 04:06:55 PM »

It was on here .. http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,410.0.html ... and it's the DML 36SH too.

Was looking under the wrong heading ..   ::) ..

Cheers  David

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 04:20:50 PM »

It was on here .. http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,410.0.html ... and it's the DML 36SH too.

Was looking under the wrong heading ..   ::) ..

Cheers  David

Thanks for that David. Yes, it would appear that the problem outlined in the tread is the one I am having. I can only hope that RP send me a rest that I can lower to more than 5mm below centreline. The point about the Sorby tool post range is interesting. Having looked, I can see the obvious advantages. Maybe when budget allows I could invest in one. A question though,what length is the post? Lots of info on post diameter, and tool rest length, but nowhere can I find the length of the post. Any ideas?
Cheers
Derek

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 04:47:45 PM »
Derek,

Nice to have a name,

I've done a quick sketch to answer your question as there is no real answer, every lathe is different. Hopefully it is self explanitory, if not ask and we'll explain further.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »
Hi Derek,  I bought my Robert Sorby Tool Rest last year at Yandles and couldn't remember what the length was that I needed. I knew it was 30mm diameter though and they supply a short one and a long one so I bought the long one because as it's only mild steel it can be cut to length with a hack saw. As it happens I didn't need to shorten it, I think the cost was the same.
Welcome from me too by the way  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian