Author Topic: Saying hello  (Read 7428 times)

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
  • A Kildare Man living in Saline, Fife. Scotland
Re: Saying hello
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 05:23:36 PM »
Derek,

Nice to have a name,

I've done a quick sketch to answer your question as there is no real answer, every lathe is different. Hopefully it is self explanitory, if not ask and we'll explain further.

The length of the post on the current rest is 30mm. Distance from top lip of banjo down to the camloc is 37mm, with the tightening screw approx 10mm down from the top lip. So, dr4g0nfly, you can see why I'm curious about the length of the Sorby post, though thanks for your sketch all the same.

Thanks for that Julian. Being able to cut the post to length sounds attractive.

We'll just have to wait and see............

Conviction will divide many, doubt will unite them

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »
Derek  --  I have measured the Sorby Post and it's 140mm ( 5-1/2" ) from bottom to the base of the top thread, the 30mm is the width not the height.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »
Derek  --  I have measured the Sorby Post and it's 140mm ( 5-1/2" ) from bottom to the base of the top thread, the 30mm is the width not the height.  Julian

Thanks for that Julian.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 11:06:59 PM »
Hi Derek,
Another 'Welcome' to the forum. Always good to see a new turner discovering the craft.

I seem to recall Record toolrests were supplied in two post lengths. One was to fit the older banjo, which was locked in place with a handle underneath, where the hole for the rest went all the way through the casting. The shorter one was necessary for use on the newer 'camlock' banjo, where it is locked with a lever on the front of the banjo, but the cam rod was under the hole for the toolrest, thereby limiting the height adjustment.

We've got a club meeting tomorrow and I should be able to get a definitive answer on this, so will post again on Thursday. But, as has already been said the easiest option could be to cut a bit off the bottom of your existing toolrest. However, if you do, only take a bit off then try it out. Like wood, it's easier to take it off than put it back.

Aside from that, hope you are enjoying your turning,
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »
Hi Derek,
Another 'Welcome' to the forum. Always good to see a new turner discovering the craft.

I seem to recall Record toolrests were supplied in two post lengths. One was to fit the older banjo, which was locked in place with a handle underneath, where the hole for the rest went all the way through the casting. The shorter one was necessary for use on the newer 'camlock' banjo, where it is locked with a lever on the front of the banjo, but the cam rod was under the hole for the toolrest, thereby limiting the height adjustment.

We've got a club meeting tomorrow and I should be able to get a definitive answer on this, so will post again on Thursday. But, as has already been said the easiest option could be to cut a bit off the bottom of your existing toolrest. However, if you do, only take a bit off then try it out. Like wood, it's easier to take it off than put it back.

Aside from that, hope you are enjoying your turning,

Thanks for that. Having not been around lathes for that long I can't feel I can comment with any degree of credibility, but as an observation, it strikes me the old design may have been better as far as toolrest height is concerned. Maybe I might see if I can't get my hands on an old style banjo.......

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Took delivery of a new rest from RP. Works a treat. Excellent customer service from this company.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »
Hi Derek,

Good to hear Record have resolved your problem.

I thought I should let you know, and anyone else reading this forum, that I was wrong in my earlier message when I suspected the camlock type banjo doesn't allow a long toolpost. The hole in the banjo is clear on both types, camlock and lever, as I was able to check last night at our club meeting. However, other lathes such as the Clarke and probably others, DO have that problem, so something to be aware of if you are getting additional toolrests.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club