Author Topic: Latest wabi sabi piece: Decent photos attached  (Read 2658 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Latest wabi sabi piece: Decent photos attached
« on: April 18, 2014, 06:03:52 PM »
Bad photo of my latest piece. Bit of fettling to do to get the base really flat and horizontal. The hollow form is spalted elm, worm holes filled with copper and with a banksia nut top. The base is a piece of oak burr. The 'rivulets have been dyed with a blue dye to simulate water. C&C Welcome

Pete

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:14:11 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Latest wabi sabi piece
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »
Very nice form I particularly like the grain orientation in this piece

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »

We cannot comment on your photo ours never seem to capture what we are trying to achieve.
   So after seeing your work at yandles and finding them visually striking we will put this piece in that category .
   The flow of the H/F captures the grain at the top very well.  We let our imagination flow a little and the rivulets could be the
   result of a storm further up the hill side. But we could be totally wrong there.     :) :)

Tony and Diane
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
I like the hollow form and the top, not so sure about the base it's standing on but that's art and many people will love the base, lovely grain Great Workmanship Don't you ever have an off day  :)

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Latest wabi sabi piece: Decent photos attached
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »
Sorry Pete and I hope it's the angle the form is photographed from (possibly foreshortened) but the shape as it appears really does not do it for me. It's too sharp atthe shoulder and then tapers in too fast.

On the plus side the banksia finial is a winner and the base achieves everything in form and colour for me.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 12:46:46 AM »
Well Pete

Now we have the improved pictures, I take back my comments on the base the total piece looks stunning 99/100 sorry can't give you 100/100 saving that for my self.

:) :) :) :) :) :)
Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 09:57:47 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. The form is curved from the bottom to the collar so maybe it is just the photo angle, I'll look again at it and see if I can see what you see. The blue parts are meant to represent rivulets as stated so you aren't wrong there. As far as having an off day, I could easily post a load of pieces that didn't work out. They all go to one side in case I get an idea to use or improve them.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »
Hi Pete,

Nice piece and good use of a banksia nut for the finial. I like the colour you've used for the rivulets,works well with the oak burr.

Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.