Author Topic: Contemplation  (Read 2809 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Contemplation
« on: April 25, 2014, 04:37:15 PM »
Here is my latest piece. Made from Jarrah Burr,African Blackwood, metal leaf and a bit off of a computer (revenge is mine at last ;D ;D ). I apologise for the pictures, there must be something up with my camera like too many buttons to press or whatnot, but you will get the idea anyway. All C+C welcome.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 06:19:27 PM by The Bowler Hatted Turner »

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Contemplation
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 05:11:10 PM »
Hi Bowler

I like the shape what size is it, I can see there's gold in the middle is that something going on around the edge?

But I think that you either need a new camera with less button's or a lesson on how to use your one  :)

Ed

Andy Coates

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 05:12:22 PM »
Excellent John! Top marks.

BTW...it's the focus that's out. Most modern point and click digi cams have a function where you half depress the shutter button to force focus. Give it a go.

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 06:20:15 PM »
Just been on and added another picture, don't think it's much better though.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »
Looks like the camera is not focusing what type of camera is it? have you got it on auto?? if you have a portrait mode on the camera you could try that it might give a better result

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »
John,

lately you've reached a new plateau, keep climbing, what you are producing is fantastic.

I'm guessing the shiny bit between the base and platter is the 'computer bit'.

'Contemplation', I like it, engraved with a dental burr or some-such?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 07:30:51 PM »

Hi John   From what we can see it looks a striking piece

Tony and Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »
thanks all for your comments and apologies again for the c**p pictures. Trouble is I "inherited " the camera but don't have the instructions. Just in case someone has some instructions they could let me have the camera is a Hitachi HDC-631E. There is a dial on top with loads of different letters on. I will try to get a better picture for you to see.
Bryan spot on about the shiny bit coming from the computer. I hate throwing stuff away that might come in useful someday (hence the state of my workshop) and this ring came from a hard drive unit that I robbed for the magnets. Can you remember a while back there was a thread about the clarinet horn blanks? the base of this is made from one. The engraving was done with a pyrograph.
   All this stuff is for the Cloth roads arts week, never done one before so don't know what to expect but I will be surrounded by artists so needed to produce some artistic pieces. The next problem is working out the price.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 09:48:10 PM »
Bowler if it a very arty thing think of a number and double it!!

Most cameras have the same sort of setting images the one that looks like a head and shoulders wearing a hat is portrait I've found on my Nikon I get better images on a tripod with that setting.

Ed

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 09:59:03 PM »
Very arty John. Would love to see the rim of the bowl when you've sorted the camera out. Nice use of the "clarinet " blank.
Good luck during the Cloth roads art week.
Regards
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 12:43:55 AM »

Clearly .. if not from the pictures, you'd a brilliant idea.

Well done.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Paul Disdle

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »
Nice piece.

I pulled up some info on you camera on the dial on the top you want to select A or P A being Auto and P being program.

But as someone has said its a focus issue.  I suspect you have either got too close or zoomed past the cameras ability to focus. Try stepping back a pace or back of the zoom a little.

Alternatively press the little flower button on the back to select macro mode which will allow closer focusing

Paul

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 09:06:38 AM »
Thanks Paul, tried googling for the instructions, mine is the only camera in the whole wide world without instructions on the net. Looked at other bits for other cameras, I may not have had enough light for the pictures(I didn't use any).
 Thanks for the advice I will give it a go.