Author Topic: Ash N/E bowl - another one!  (Read 2806 times)

Online Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Ash N/E bowl - another one!
« on: April 25, 2014, 10:07:21 PM »
A few months ago I posted a pic of a n/e bowl in olive ash. It came from a trunk that had fallen in a storm at Christmas time and I had kept most of it as firewood. Amongst that batch was a log of about 16" diameter and 4ft long, but it had split quite badly at both ends. A couple of days ago I started cutting it up for firewood and reached the middle of the length of the log when I realised that there were no splits in that part, so I quickly stuck a lump on the lathe and set about making another bowl out of it. By all rights it had dried a bit too much to be real green-wood-turning, and it started to move within less than a half hour of completing it.

It turned really well, not as soft and easy as it had been 4 months ago, but still a dream to work with compared with dry wood.

If anything, cutting the 'peaks' of the rim of the bowl was a little easier, because when I made the original bowl the peaks were very flexible and kept bending away from the gouge when I got them down to about 5mm, but this time, being a little drier, they stayed more upright and I found it much easier to get a finish off the gouge.

Anyway, here's the finished piece, still bare wood, so let's see what happens to it over the next few days before I decide what finish to use. It's now sat in a garden shed to avoid drying it too quickly.

What is strange is the speed with which it is moving. I remember reading of a trick to test the quality of a curve, a method that one of the critique team used, and it relies on using a hot-melt glue-stick pressed against the body of the bowl to follow the curve. Any high-points or low-points will immediately be obvious! Anyway, this bowl was as close as I could get it to passing that test - or at least it was when I turned it. By the time I took the photos, a few hours later, it had developed a wobble at the point where the heartwood connects with the sapwood. In the photo above the wobble can be seen quite clearly and in the photo below we can see that it seems to be shrinkage in the sapwood that's causing it.

Hopefully the curve will smooth-out again when it's fully dried.

By the way, it's about 10" diameter and 8" tall.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Ash N/E bowl - another one!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 12:26:05 AM »

Les, looks like the making of another really nice piece, should look stunning when finished and so what if it moves, adds to the form.

I've a silver birch N/E drying at the moment and that had moved before it came off the lathe, still intact when checked yesterday (Thursday)

Will watch for this one to be finished.

Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 01:19:58 PM »

Les like the look of this piece so far.  Certainly heading in the direction of
        another nice piece.         Tony and Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 08:40:18 PM »
Les,

nice work, natural edges always work for me. Shame the heartwood is so little though, that would have really brought out the overall effect.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 05:51:34 AM »
I thats going to look pretty smart once finished

Ed

Online Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 09:30:31 PM »
Will watch for this one to be finished.

....and here it is, at last. It took 4 weeks to dry out. The first 2 spent in the garden shed, then a week in the workshop, then a week in the spare bedroom. After the fourth week its weight became stable and I re-sanded and started oiling it. It's had 4 coats of Danish Oil, then a light sanding before 2 coats of Microcrystaline wax.

Hope you like it, Dewi!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 09:57:30 PM »
Les,

It looks good, good shape and good polish.

Do you balance your natural edge pieces before you turn them? I don't mean by weight I'm talking about making the high and low points level with each other as far as possible.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Online Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 10:02:42 PM »
Les,

It looks good, good shape and good polish.

Do you balance your natural edge pieces before you turn them? I don't mean by weight I'm talking about making the high and low points level with each other as far as possible.

Usually, I do, but I did make one that was deliberately uneven, so that the front wall was very low, the side 'wings' really high, and the back wall somewhere in between the two.....but I promised myself that I'd not bother again because it was a pain to sand it.

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »

A oes gan Dewi ei hoffi ... It turned out better than mine, Les .. Then the advantage was a beautiful piece of Ash in the first place .. and it doesn't look to have moved at all.

Cheers for the follow up.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 12:12:00 AM »
Well the finished piece lives up to its promise - Lovely

Ed