Author Topic: Long neck vases  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Long neck vases
« on: April 28, 2014, 03:34:20 AM »
Dry flower long neck vases. The bottom was hollowed until the last 1 1/2 inch that was left solid for stability.
Any comment is welcome.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Long neck vases
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 06:41:43 AM »
Hi Sevilla

Once again stunning turning, I like the grain patten on the centre vase, but for me the neck look's wrong. I think it's the contrasting timber your eye is taken away from the lovey grain patten of the base.

My favorite is the burr

Great work

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 06:48:39 AM »
There's lots of good things going on in those shapes, the trick is going to be picking them and using them harmoniously. The vase on the right has a pleasant overall shape, as does the body of the burr, but the vase in  the front has too much going on, especially at the foot, which is too heavy for the vase, but keep working on the good points, it's coming together!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:56:36 AM »
Lovely work but like the other any problems I see are with the design. When doing a different wood it is better to make any contrast dramatic. The burr is beautiful but would be better with a vividly different neck IMHO. The one on the right is the best shape etc for me whlst I agree with Les that the one at the front is too busy, too many beads etc. Sorry to sound so negative Sevila, as always design is personal to a large extent.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »
 I agree totally with critics. These are the only vases of this type I made and the center one is the first. I started just to save some wood I had and decided to elaborate. It is a form I like, there was a beautiful long neck vase posted in this gallery, and my love for Modigliani made me doing these and the next I'll make.
PS: Only fool people do not see the positive in a negative critic.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 11:09:06 AM »
Sevilla,

I agree with the other comments about the neck of the centre vase but one other thing, you've set the neck such that the grain is almost at right angles to the grain of the vase, that does not help the appearance at all.

With the other two vases the timbers used don't both have definitive grain patterns so it's not so apparent.

But I like the idea and agree that the one's on the left & right are the best.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 11:49:58 AM »
p.s. your thread 'Asian Style Vessel' does not open for me.

Anyone else having a problem with it?

I do not have any thread with that title. thanks for the comments.