Author Topic: Pen and Pencil Set  (Read 4018 times)

Paul Disdle

Pen and Pencil Set
« on: May 01, 2014, 09:00:20 PM »
Pen and pencil set turned from homegrown Olive and finished with CA glue.

C&C Welcome

Thanks
Paul
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:11:04 PM by Paul Disdle »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:51:05 PM »
At last....someone who makes a pen that I wouldn't mind owning! I tire of seeing countless examples of pens that are either so garish or so weirdly shaped that I don't even feel the slightest wish to hold them. Pens that have unexplained bulges and resemble stretched-out number-eight-shapes. Here we have a simple, comfortable looking shape that has a wonderfully understated grain.......but hang on, there's a pencil as well....what joy!

Les

p.s. ... did you get the message that I like them?
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Paul Disdle

Re: Pen and Pencil Set
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 09:58:45 PM »
Thanks Les,  I,'my not a fan of the funny shapes either. 

Paul

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 10:21:19 PM »
Paul,

they get my vote in shape as well but I've got to say that is the palest Olive I think I've ever seen, guess it does not like growing here in the UK.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 11:20:46 PM »

Paul, well done, this is a lovely set, I echo, plain, simple and homegrown Olive, grain alignment is nice, what could be nicer.

Most often with pens it's stated the kits, which have been used, are these slimline or just basic out of interest.

Les, a BIC will be in the post (blue or black), they even make pencils ..  ;) ...

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 07:08:06 AM »
Hi Paul

I have to say these look great and I second the views that the shape is much better than the big bulky ones that are done.

Also I have a question about the finish, you said you finished with CA glue is this so people can't drop them........................ :) :) :)

No seriously do you cover them in CA glue and then use wire wool or something? I'm fairly new to this turning thing and it's the first time I think that I've seen finished with CA glue. Why is it used? Is it because it will dry hard.

Ed

Paul Disdle

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 08:46:06 AM »
ed - CA glue gives a very durable finish that maintains it shine. This was my first go I followed this video http://youtu.be/8zsJXC-17rU I am very pleased with the result

David - these are slimline pen and pencil kits supplied by http://www.penkitsuk.com/ I have found this kits very good and they assemble nicely. The service from penkitsuk was very good too

Paul

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 02:09:27 PM »

Like the shape very elegant not too chunky. Have you used gun metal on these
  Its a very nice  change from the usual gold
         Tony and Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Paul Disdle

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 02:28:25 PM »
They are gold the picture is not that great, the age old problem of taking pictures of shiny things. I go have a chrome set to make as well.

Paul

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 03:10:49 PM »
ed - CA glue gives a very durable finish that maintains it shine. This was my first go I followed this video http://youtu.be/8zsJXC-17rU I am very pleased with the result

David - these are slimline pen and pencil kits supplied by http://www.penkitsuk.com/ I have found this kits very good and they assemble nicely. The service from penkitsuk was very good too

Paul

Paul, thank you for the reply and link.  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: !
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 04:55:53 PM »
At last....someone who makes a pen that I wouldn't mind owning! I tire of seeing countless examples of pens that are either so garish or so weirdly shaped that I don't even feel the slightest wish to hold them. Pens that have unexplained bulges and resemble stretched-out number-eight-shapes. Here we have a simple, comfortable looking shape that has a wonderfully understated grain.......but hang on, there's a pencil as well....what joy!
Totally agree, well done.

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
Hi Paul
Nicely turned and practical shape.
The gold looks pale in the photos as well, I suppose the olive is a little darker in real life. Thanks for all the info and for posting the links
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
Thanks for the info and link Paul

Now I'm back at the computer I'll take a look at the link.

Ed