Author Topic: More wabi sabi  (Read 1997 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
More wabi sabi
« on: May 18, 2014, 04:50:31 PM »
Don't think I have posted this one before. Had it a while fiddling and waiting for it to settle to make sure it doesn't fall apart.
In my pursuit of making something from nothing or at least wood that many would reject this piece is a classic example. Whether anyone likes it or not we have yet to see LOL.
It is made from mulberry. The hollow form is 180mm diameter and has an ebony finial with an ebonised hazel twig. The base is a piece of old oak, wire brushed and buffed, otherwise left totally as is. Stands approx 300mm tall overall. Natural splits now stable but left unfilled as part of the overall wabi sabi effect

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 04:52:32 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: More wabi sabi
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 05:55:56 PM »
Nice piece of work. The oak complements the mulberry well.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:12:50 PM »
Well once again you prove that you should throw nothing away looks great :)

Ed

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:25:50 PM »

It works well, crude, rustic .. fits the bill perfectly.  Well done.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 09:57:09 AM »
Pete,

you've posted several forms mounted like this, are they becoming your signature piece?

I'm really likeing this, the only question I have is where do we find gnarly bit's of wood to make this sort of upstand.

Infact I have a second question, are the pieces connected together in some way or is it a balancing act?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Thank you all. I have always done very rustic pieces and then, influenced by Mark Sanger, started looking at oriental shapes and forms. When I started combining the two he put me on to the wabi sabi ethos which I was unknowingly following. Whilst, turning fulltime, I have to make what people want, these pieces using old, reclaimed or damaged (naturally) wood has become my main artistic work and is what I am putting into galleries slowly so I suppose the answer is yes, this type of work is becoming my signature work and what I have been asked to demonstrate though usually it is evening demos which makes for a lot of pre-done work as you can't make something from scratch like this in a couple of hours LOL.
 For me there is something special about using wood that many would throw away or cut all the defects out of and using wood that has been worn and aged. You never quite know what you will end up with and putting the pieces together as in this one is part of it all.
The hollow form is sat, not fixed, on a plinth at the top of the base and the hazel twig is pinned and glued the the finial.
Finding the gnarly pieces is all about keeping your eyes open. Hedgerows, skips, tree surgeons, gardeners, old house renovations etc.
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities