Author Topic: Facemask/visor  (Read 7357 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Facemask/visor
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:31:37 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this type of facemask/visor...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trend-Airace-Respirator-Dust-Mask-With-Clip-on-Visor-Pack-of-5-Spare-Filters-/200803817750?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item2ec0d71916
...it looks impressive, although I'd be a little concerned about woodchips getting behind the visor by dropping-in from above.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
Re: Facemask/visor
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »
The Darth Vader mask you mean  :D

I have one that I brought years ago and it is OK but the shield causes more problems than it solves as you guessed correctly and it can fill up with shavings, which can get in your eyes.   I dumped the visor/shield within a couple of days and went back to a separate face shield http://www.axminster.co.uk/scan-standard-face-shield-visor and the mask.

In my experience it gets very hot against the face even in cold weather so I only wore it for sanding instead of all the time.

You would be better with an air fed full face mask.

john

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 01:04:25 PM »
.....You would be better with an air fed full face mask.

OK....so let's run this as a debate on the relative values/merits of the air-fed visor against the face mask.

I have no experience of the air-fed type, and have never seen one in use by a woodturner. However, I was recently admonished (mildly) on the American forum for not wearing one when I was turning. I have a sneaky suspicion that lots of people who own them tend to use them only for sanding, finding them a bit cumbersome for everyday use.

Let's hear what you've all got to say on this......it would be interesting to hear what John BHT thinks.

Les

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »
I brought the Trend one  ( After trying John Taylor's as it happens ) and I find it 'good' but it does take a deal of getting used to. The main problem with it that I can see is that it is not terribly stable on the head. If you lean forward it is inclined to slide about. It won't fall off and doesn't really bother me anymore but feels odd for a while.
It does blow a nice cool curtain of air over the face and is worthwhile just for that.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 02:18:40 PM »
I highly recommend the use of an airfed face shield. The problem with turning is that it's dusty, and that's just the turning, sanding gets really dusty! I always say that the biggest danger to Woodturners, once you have learned to keep your bit of wood on the lathe, is the dust!

I used to use a powercap, which was good, and I used it for a number of years before the battery pack died. For about a year after that I used a disposable mask and face shield, believing the protection would be enough... Guess what? It isn't! I began suffering with Sinus issues so decided to bite the bullet and fork out for a decent system.

The best on the market is without a doubt the 3M but with a price tag in the region of £700 it is a bit of a stretch. I looked at the Trend but many reviews online reported the weight being an issue, and my stance does mean I tend to lean forward, putting strain on my neck. Protecting my lungs but straining my neck didn't seem like a good deal so I decided I wanted a belt mounted system.

I found the JSP Jetstream, which is the big brother of the powercap, costing around £400. It is built around a builders helmet so is lightweight, comfortable for long periods and also offers excellent protection against projectiles... Just in case!

The belt mounted power pack and carbon filter is where all the weight is and this sits comfortably on your waist/hips. The best thing about it is the level of filteration, it has a carbon filter which means you can't even smell the wood you are turning. If you can smell it, there must be something getting through!

I've had it for 2 years so far and really like it. It has an 8 hour battery so lasts a full long day of work without a problem. The only issue I have come up against is that there is an alarm which is designed to tell you when the filter needs changing/battery needs charging, which whistles and mine clearly has a fault as it whistles all the time but it doesn't bother me over the sound of my lathe and the radio.

HTH

Richard
See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 02:28:46 PM »
I have the Trend Airshield Pro and I disagree that it slides around, there is an adjustment knob at the back for head sizing, it's a bit like wearing a hard hat. The battery life is very good I think they are well worth owning.

BUT your right I use it for sanding or cutting toxic wood like Yew, other than that I use a standard face shield.

Regards

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »
After receiving a personal invitation to join in this debate I thought it would be impolite not to get involved.
   Now I answer first as a woodturner. I cannot and have never been able to and therefore do not expect to be able to afford to buy a face mask with built in respirator and so I do not use them and have no experience of them whatsoever.
   Answering now as the AWGB H&S guy let me say this. The spec on the advert is sufficient for woodturners needs inasmuch as it meets the requirements laid down. I would imagine that shavings will fly in over the top of the mask but expect that it is moveable so this may be something that can be addressed. Obviously any face protection is better than none. If I was to look at buying face protection I think I would buy the best on the market not one that only does half a job. I could be wrong but I can foresee problems with light reflection with the mask as it is shown.
   If the question is now asked of me....would I wear one if it was given to me then the answer is probably no I wouldn't.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 03:42:31 PM »
I don't own or use a powered respirator but having researched some of them in the past I was surprised that some of them have visors with no impact protection (I assume they are designed for "flat" woodworking, spraying etc.) and some of those with medium impact rated visors (EN166 B or Z87+) don't have any form of protection built in to the cap or non-visor part. This was borne out by a recent accident where someone suffered severe head injuries because the projectile that left the lathe impacted above the visor in the helmet/filter area. If I was to purchase a respirator I would want one that had impact protection on both the visor and the helmet.

I think the design of the Airace is unsuitable for woodturning because it reduces the area covered by the visor screen, which is the only part that is impact rated. It also offers no protection above the visor.

I use a visor that protects the whole face and separate dust filtration.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »

I've the Trend Airshield Pro and it is weighty used long term, so only used for sanding when the batteries aren't flat.  Got it some years ago when it came out/was publicized as the must have as the rage goes, and it does as it say's keeps out the dust and stops the shavings, not that that can't be achieved by directing the tool/flute/hand or as I have and use the Ax Visor, is that impact resistant.

Question is do Trend make Lathes ... do they expect with design large objects to impact the visor/helmet ... NO ..

Outside of woodworking it is again for the dust related Industries.   If it comes to protection from impact look at STIHL, then it's still limited ... I know from the so called safety Builders Helmets.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 06:12:43 PM »
I use the JSP visor with filtered air over the face. I researched these air fed visors quite a bit a few years ago, and concluded, like Richard that the 3M system was by far the best, but is expensive. The JSP system I bought on Ebay for about £80 so it was a bargain. I do use it when turning more fragile items (I do segmented turning) and I use it especially in the winter as a face mask and safety glasses causes the lenses to mist up. It is also essential really when sanding. Works well with the battery weight being belt mounted. Other systems with this in the helmet itself I have found to be too top heavy and do move especially when you bend down. Hop0e this helps. Malcolm.

Nick Arnull

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 06:00:56 AM »
I have a 3M Dust-master, Ive had it for years and wear it all the time Dust is created by the process of turning  not just when sanding.
What price a pair of lungs and lung damage is not usually reversible.
Nick Arnull. Proffessional Turner.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 06:09:22 AM »
.....What price a pair of lungs....

A very fair point, Nick.
Thanks everyone for contributing and, as ever, it's good to see differing solutions. One point I am now pondering.....for we amateurs, who turn for a limited number of hours per week, can we justify spending several hundred pound on an air-fed rig, and is it necessary for the amount of dust that we will encounter. I guess that it's an impossible question to answer and one that will be a matter of personal interpretation.

Les

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 08:27:17 AM »
May I add another aspect of dust to consider. We all (?) wear dust masks when turning/ sanding, and use a dust extactor over the turning, but that doesn't prevent some dust collecting around the workshop. Do you wear your mask when 'tidying' up your workshop?
Every now and again, I put on full face dust mask, turn on my dust extractor and Microclene, then go round my workshop with an air jet to dislodge all the dust  :o. It's a real 'pea souper' for a while, which just goes to show how much dust 'escapes' and is left lying around.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 08:32:28 AM »
I have only been hobby woodworking, and now turning, for a couple of years but at times there was so much settled and free floating dust in the workshop that I had to get out. I have now installed dust extraction and brought a Trend Airshield air fed  mask/hat. But maybe to late.
I have been having (mild ish ) problems breathing for the last few months, Doc assumes it is from smoking all my life, and he may be right ( gave up last new years eve ) but it came on very suddenly and coincided with the new hobby of dust production so I am not so sure......

PROTECT YOUR LUNGS. IT AINT FUNNY.
Regards
Graham

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 08:37:05 AM »
May I add another aspect of dust to consider. We all (?) wear dust masks when turning/ sanding, and use a dust extactor over the turning, but that doesn't prevent some dust collecting around the workshop. Do you wear your mask when 'tidying' up your workshop?
Every now and again, I put on full face dust mask, turn on my dust extractor and Microclene, then go round my workshop with an air jet to dislodge all the dust  :o. It's a real 'pea souper' for a while, which just goes to show how much dust 'escapes' and is left lying around.

Yes, I have installed a really powerful extractor fan in the window frame and do the same thing with that going full blast. Even with the extractor to all machines I need to have a guide string to the door when 'deducting' :)
Regards
Graham