Author Topic: Hand mirrors  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Hand mirrors
« on: May 25, 2014, 02:40:11 AM »
Here are a few hand mirrors I made. Actual mirrors are 4 and 3 inches. Various woods.
Thanks for looking and every comment and critique is greatly appreciated.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Hand mirrors
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 05:47:27 PM »

Sergio, This is a cracking set of mirrors, well turned in each discipline, flat work and spindle, you've got an array of fine details to the pieces, do like them.

It maybe picky in saying, yet fair in C&C as asked, two of the mirrors I can just detect minor flaws, slight ring marks to the back of the spalted beech, sanding or in the finish not to sure which, and tear out to the top side of the upper bead of it's handle, shows in bottom picture the most, it's more the half cove cut was not completed, than to the bead.

The other is again to the back of the dark mirror (2nd pic) with a couple points of tear out in the grain (3 o'clock) and slight undulation to the surface.

These will grace any dressing table and become treasured heirlooms to whoever receives one. Well done, keep the excellent work coming, thank you for sharing.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 02:42:04 AM »
Thank David for the comments. I was aware of the flaws but I decided to post the pictures anyway to hear the overall impressions. The rings on the back of the spalted wood, I do not remember the wood , perhaps white birch, are probably due to the back of the gouge burnishing the wood. For the black walnut tear out I must say that I tried with better sharpening but could not overcame the problem. Sanding in these situations do not help.
I should increase the speed of the lathe but,  probably for training/practicing reasons, I usually turn well below 1000 rpm. The handle of the mirrors, purpleheart less then 3/4 inch was turned at about 1000/1200 rpm. I'm convinced that a sharp tool and a steady hand can make up for speed but I guess not in all situations.
Thank you again for your critique.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:13:09 AM »
Hi Sergio

The hand mirrors look great I see David pick-up on the couple of faults and you have answered this.

I'm interested in your comment on the speed you spin your lathe to turn, I also work with the lathe under a 1000 rpm in fact a lot of what I turn is  around the 500 rpm mark I keep the tool sharp and get a good finish so I don't have to do too much sanding, so I think that you are right a good sharp tool and a steady hand work well  :)

Ed 

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 11:58:34 AM »
I love the feeling of balance you've achieved in the handles, they sit well with the mirror part without looking too flimsy or heavy.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »
I think they look great..... but do people still use such things ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 06:17:15 PM »
I think they look great..... but do people still use such things ?

A surprising number of ladies apparently still do. Also ideal for plucking hairs from your......no I won't go there

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities