Author Topic: CBN GRINDING WHEELS  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Chris Eagles

• iron
CBN GRINDING WHEELS
« on: June 15, 2014, 06:34:17 PM »
CBN wheels

After much deliberation I decided to purchase one of those new-fangled CBN grinding wheels!

Based on  experience with various  bench grinders I was aware of problems when using push-fit nylon washers to take up differences between the grinder spindle and the bore size of the wheel, a cause of excess vibration usually resolved with a diamond trueing tool. Of course this is not possible with a CBN wheel

The situation is beautifully resolved with CBN wheels supplied by Peter Child.

Peter turns up a steel “plug” to an interference fit between “plug” and wheel bore.

With the accuracy associated with a metal turning lathe he re-bores the wheel to match the diameter of the grinder spindle. Simple and effective.

My dial test indicator shows no run-out and there is no vibration. It is a delight to use; additionally, any wheels mounted on the opposite end of the spindle make no difference to the running accuracy of the CBN wheel.

The cost of this individually prepared (150mm x 40mm) wheel - £154.64 (including postage)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: CBN GRINDING WHEELS
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:10:29 PM »
Chris,

Your post on CBN wheels reinforces the findings of Haggy in another recent thread, always good to have a second opinion and independent view, especially from someone with the experience you can offer.

I was not previously aware you were a member of this forum, pleased to have you aboard. I hope we can look forward to more of your postings in the future, I know they say we can always learn something, from you I think we could all learn much.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: CBN GRINDING WHEELS
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:36:28 PM »
I have never seen a post from Chris either but welcome on board. I did a box making training workshop last year with Chris and have been making them the same way ever since.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian