Author Topic: Been Playing with Spirals  (Read 3638 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Been Playing with Spirals
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:04:04 AM »
Well I've been playing with spirals this is a piece of Pear 200mm x 55mm still to be mounted on something but it's just a test piece.

Like to know what you think

Thanks

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Been Playing with Spirals
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 08:22:03 AM »
OK, so that is an entirely different thing IMHO to Hughie's spiral vases. This is more of a piece of sculpture and I love it. It must have taken ages to do and I for one would like a detailed explanation of how it was done.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:14:35 PM »
Hi Ed....what a resounding success you've made of it. I can only stand in awe at the amount of work that's gone into getting the regularity of the spiral shapes and the finish that you've achieved.  As a piece of sculpture, perhaps the top could have done with something extra, as it does appear a little heavy....maybe the two rising could have blended into one, so that the spiral led both up and down....but as a first attempt at open spirals I imaging it'll take a bit of beating.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 11:27:49 PM »
Thanks for replying Graham and Les

It is a sculpture well that was the plan, the top is heavy Les but I was not really worried about the top on this piece it's just a test for something bigger  :) I'm going mount this piece on something to balance it out.

Graham I watched a you tube video on it but I can't find it at the moment I'll keep looking when I find it I'll send you the link.

But basically you turn your spindle drill a hole up through the middle, then you mark up the outside with some rings in pencil or what ever now the video showed measuring the radius and using this as your spacing for the marking up, I did not do this I just marked a top and bottom line and one in the middle, (I didn't want so many twists)

You then use some form of sticky tape and wrap this around the out side of the wood following the spiral that you want to make. You can then draw a line on both edges of the tape, I think that the first set of rings that you have drawn helps you when your stick down the tape for spacing of the spiral.

Once the spiral lines are drawn, remove the tape then cut along the right hand line with a saw, reverse the spindle (you need to be able to mount from either end) and cut the second line. You then cut away the wood along the saw lines remembering to reverse the spindle of each line, you can carve away the wood but I used a Stuart Mortimer Bine Cutting Disc in a Proxxon take a little at a time in each direction. Once I'd cut down a few mm I used a rasp to form a bit of the shape, then cut down a little further and repeated the process until I had cut through to the bored hole. You done cut right through in one go because once it becomes weak.

Then it's good old sanding.

Hope that make scene if not PM me your number and I give you a ring and talk you through the process.

Good luck post what you make

All the best

Ed

PS Nearly forgot you mark a centre line across the blank at each end so you know where your starting and finishing the spiral.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:22:44 AM by edbanger »

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 08:06:44 AM »
Thats good Ed, thanks. I have already found a youtube vid about making a spiral table leg that follows your methoud but wasn't 'open'. The bored hole up the middle solves that  :)
Must give this a try.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:55:48 AM »
nice piece of work i have also used the proxxon to make spirals but have also found these http://www.turnerscabin.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71_156 work really really well i beleve Nick Arnuld did and article on them a while back

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »

Looks nice and even all the way up  ED.....A very good and well done first attempt.
    Tony tried to make one once but too much fiddling involved kept complaining about tennis elbow  ;D
    Di and Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 08:07:46 PM »
Ed,

I've seen similar where the wood (once marked out) is drilled away with a forstner bit and then finished.

For a test piece you've taken it to a fine finish, already looking forward to seeing just what this is the precursor to.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 12:24:02 PM »
I'd say for a first go you have done very well. The spirals  look even and the progression or twist looks just fine as well.