Author Topic: Help Needed Urgently  (Read 6500 times)

Andy Coates

Help Needed Urgently
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:19:12 PM »
Hello all,

I've just updated the software (WITHOUT LOSING THE FORUM!!!) and now need to add a few software mods to make us more secure and spammer free...

one of the problems is that BOTS are trying to scan passwords of genuine users and this results in a MOUNTAIN of error reports in the system log....

so...

have any of the following users logged in with an incorrect password today?

Dave Atkinson
Blind Woodturner
dr4g0nfly
Ken Rogers
Tim Davies
woodndesign
Mark Sanger

If not the BOTS are scanning you username and using software to guess your passwords....and if sucessful may post c^&% using your account....

change your passoword to a more difficult one....letters numbers, and if you take it a symbol....IE: 72rabbit@~

more later

ANDY

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: Help Needed Urgently
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:55:21 PM »
done mine - just hope I can remember it!! ::)

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »
Hi andy. time to kick these spammers where it hurts. if you need a mod who's pretty much active on here most of the day, give me a shout. I'm online most of the day

will change password now.

lew

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:05:12 PM »
Sorted. These spammers have nothing better to do than affect the quality of our lives. SPAMMERS.... why don't you take your dodgy sales, your new miracle cures, your dial a brides, sex changes and badly worded emails, comments and more and KINDLY insert them.... Firmly and unreservedly in a place only known to your posteria.

sorry folks. this has blown my stack.

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:06:06 PM »
software updated and two anti-spam modifications made to the software...

this should stop all new attempts to register and post 5h1t on our forum

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:08:16 PM »
thanks for the offer BW...but the committee felt it was important to keep mods as working EC members at present...

if it changes I'll give you a shout

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:09:50 PM »
sounds a good idea.

how's things? still getting covered in shavings?

lew

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:00:57 PM »

Hi Andy,  I've not used a wrong password today, mine at the moment is an auto login from a safe store.. it's also word, number an word again..  need I change it..    ??? ...  as ideas for new ones are getting thin on the ground..

Well done on all your good work.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Andy Coates

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 07:41:07 AM »
The mods I've patched into the software seem to be working perfectly. Not one new spam registration over night, and one mod caught 2 jave and SQL injection attacks....these are automated attacks to register and post pre-prepared spam, so are the nasty ones.

This should mean that passowrds are now safe as they can't get close enough to attempt a username scan...

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:07:11 AM »
Well done andy and all. Proud of you. keep up the good work. Please could we request either 2 german shepherds or similar dogs as an extra defense?

lew and gerbil starting another morning's work.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »

Phew...  I'd been thinking..   ??? ..  new one for me maybe...  as to a new PW..  but if now the old one is still safe..   :) ...  leave off changing..

what I will do, as I'm using auto login and it's easy to get each time, is to logout at the end of each visit and not remain logged in for the day as I've done, this would give no bot/whatever chance or time to hack, not that one can get on now.

I know from the World of Woodturners forum, it can be by invitation or to apply to join them once you find the link, so to apply, if you have to for on here, if Genuine wouldn't or shouldn't be a problem, so please bear with the MOD's, (if needed) and still join and enjoy and share with us on the forum.

Thanks to all for your continual hard work with keeping the forum safe and enjoyable to be on.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 10:36:49 PM »
I logged in fine thanks - so no problem for me.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Dave Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
Spamming and hacking are again becoming a big problem again, there have been a lot of email accounts hacked especially on systems like hotmail etc. The advice above re passwords is ideal, numbers, letters, upper and lower case and any symbols. make strings longer. The problem then arises as commented on - remembering them, come of folks this is the 21st century. Go to http://www.codeaero.com/password-memory/ and dowload their free for personal use password database. It will even generate the passwords for you  ;D
Hope this helps.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 05:18:01 PM »
Hello Dave, If someone down loads that Password-memory database what is stopping that being hacked?.Regards John
John Smith