Author Topic: Garniture in wenge  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Garniture in wenge
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:27:16 PM »
I can't remember exactly how long ago it was, but I bought a big lump of wenge at the woodturning show at Tredegar House, near Newport, some time last year and it's sat on the shelf ever since. It was a stupidly expensive piece of wood, but it had potential! Then, two weeks ago I was at Yandles, rummaging through their stock looking for a bargain (which was quite a task) and I came across a piece of 2x2 wenge, about 2ft long.
Today I had a go at using the two pieces to make a table garniture - a bowl and a pair of candlesticks. The wenge was a pig to work and didn't produce much at all in the way of shavings when I was roughing out the spindles, rather, it was splinters and dust. On the plus side, it took a good finish off the skew chisel. When working the bowl I really struggled to get a finish off the gouge despite honing it after every pass. In the end, I resorted to using my heavy scrapers with the handle held high and the cutting edge kept well below centre, but tipping the scraper over to shear scrape seemed to make little difference.

Here's the set of three....the bowl is 11" x 3", yet looks strangely shallow in the picture; in fact, it's the better part of 2.5" deep, and 2.75" overall height. The candle sticks are in the Osolnik pattern, which I particularly like (and which sells well) and are just under 11" tall. I gave them all 3 coats of cellulose as the grain was very 'open', then a couple of coats of micro-crystaline wax, which I like to leave for 24hrs and then apply a third coat and then buff off. Candle inserts are solid brass - bought from Ockenden Timber.

Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Garniture in wenge
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:04:20 PM »
nice looking work there.

i could sell you wenge if you want more and not at the stupid prices turners shops charge either.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 11:08:42 PM »
Wenge is a wood that I will accept as a freebie but never buy. As you said it is a sod to work and personally the skew and scrapers are the only wy I have ever got a decent cut on it. You seem to have managed though and got a good finish. Nice little triage of pieces. Should go well if sold together.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:58:11 PM »
Nice looking set  :) Don't think that I'll be running down the timber yard anytime soon to buy some Wenge  ;D ;D ;D

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 12:22:11 AM »
pete,

as long as a slicing cut is made i've never had a problem with it.

i've go at 16 x 1 3/4" platter to make for a family member soon so will have to be sure i can back that claim up.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 08:11:01 AM »
That is a nice looking set. I can see why the Osolnik pattern is so popular and you have matched the bowl to it very well.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »
i could sell you wenge if you want more and not at the stupid prices turners shops charge either.

Hi Steve....I wouldn't want to do another bowl in it, but fancy having a go at more candlesticks, so could well be interested in buying wenge for spindle turning. I usually make an Osolnik pattern out of a 12" x 2" x 2"....do you have anything in  stock that would suit those dimensions?

Les

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 10:34:32 AM »
i have some 5" post which could be cut down to your size requirements.

otherwise i've no 2".

i have some 1", 3 1/2"x 10" in boards and three 5" posts

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 12:17:43 PM »

A very nice looking set Les
   Like the design of the bowl and the candlesticks .....making the 3 pieces a very striking trio.
   Tony and di

PS....see you have made a pair ...we can only make 2 ;D ;D
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 08:17:41 PM »
Les,

Very nice work, especially the finish on the bowl. It's not an easy wood to finish cross grain.

The the stuff is plantation grown for Kitchen worktops and the like. I've even seen it as a banister rail,but as you discovered it splinters like crazy and very open grained.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 09:05:36 AM »
i have some 5" post which could be cut down to your size requirements.

otherwise i've no 2".

i have some 1", 3 1/2"x 10" in boards and three 5" posts

Hi Steve....just in case you hadn't noticed....I went off-thread and messaged you about this several days ago.

Regards...Les