Author Topic: Heating a wooden workshop?  (Read 6958 times)

Rlewisrlou666

Heating a wooden workshop?
« on: November 13, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm in the process of building a bigger shed after the little 6x8 garden shed sprang a leak and put a stop to my restoration project.

How do you heat your sheds/workshops/garages?

I'm looking into maybe building a sawdust burner or having some form of burner to
A) Dispose of waste from making stuff.
B) They seem cheaper than running an electric space heater.

What are your thoughts?

Ryan

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Heating a wooden workshop?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »
Work harder!! :D :D
There has been a lot of discussion about this here Ryan so go back through the posts and you will find something. The general consensus is not to use a woodburner as you will end up with no workshop.
  If it were me making a wooden building I would make sure their is a breathable membrane on the outer wall underneath the cladding and then I would apply "Celotex" to the inside as insulation (roof included) before cladding the inside. Put something on the floor to make your feet comfortable and Bob's your proverbial uncle.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:58:30 PM »

I'm in agreement with John, Work harder is a bit mean though..

If well insulated the likes of a small oil radiator would be more controllable and keep the chill off, some mention the greenhouse heater tube used under the bench/lathe, again need to keep shavings clear.

I'd consider you'd not keep a burner stock with your small volume work. I'd Turned for a commercial firm who had such a stove, a days worth of waste, even more than knee deep gave an hour or two.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMdRRhVJorY

All of these I have watched produce a steady 8 to 10 hours burn.

I have a black bag full of shavings from the pieces I have turned so far and once I am up and running I will be making a great deal more.

I'll look into oil heaters and see if it'll work for what I need.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ryan

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »
Hi

I have 2 1Kw panel heaters in my shed (16x8) connected via a thermostat set at 10 degrees.  The shed is fully insulated and as a consequence they don't consume much in the way of power.  But the shed stays dry and there is no rust.  And it's safe and always pleasant to go in there even when it's minus below. 

I took an inventory of the gear that was in the shed and totted up how much it was worth.  Scary!! but it did demonstrate how important it was that it didn't suffer from the damp.

Chees Dave

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 10:47:37 AM »
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm in the process of building a bigger shed after the little 6x8 garden shed sprang a leak and put a stop to my restoration project.

How do you heat your sheds/workshops/garages?

I'm looking into maybe building a sawdust burner or having some form of burner to
A) Dispose of waste from making stuff.
B) They seem cheaper than running an electric space heater.

What are your thoughts?

Ryan

I have a drawing etc on how to build a 44gal drum sawdust burner that will depending the sawdust  moisture content will burn for up to 8 hours. But this one would depend on how much you turn, it could be scaled down to meet your volume of turning. If your interested I can email it to you.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:49:32 AM by hughie »

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 06:56:14 PM »
Thanks Hughie,

That sounds like a cool idea even if only to get rid of the sawdust.

Ryan

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 10:18:19 PM »
My friend has a huge one in his workshop made from an old boiler and I have seen small ones made from both calor gas bottles and fire extinguishers. Can be done if you can cut the metal and sort out the doors. Very, very efficient as the thick metal really gets hot

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 10:36:12 PM »
I used to have one but took it out as it was too hot !! All I use now is a fan heater just to keep the fingers warm, in theory the workshop should be a minimum of 13 degrees but I find that too hot for comfort, quite happy at 10 degs. Although as I get older I find I do need it a little warmer than I used to.
        I do "wrap up warm" as my Mum used to say, and am not embarrassed at wearing thermals and on odd occasions a pair of the wife's tights (should I really admit to that here? ) but you can't beat them for keeping you warm. (Now watch all the one liners about x dressing woodturners)

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 06:39:46 AM »

I do "wrap up warm" as my Mum used to say, and am not embarrassed at wearing thermals and on odd occasions a pair of the wife's tights (should I really admit to that here? ) but you can't beat them for keeping you warm. (Now watch all the one liners about x dressing woodturners)

I can't fault you, being cold is no fun at all & I'm all for cheap ways of keeping warm, personally I wear a balaclava when it gets very cold but I could imagine your pair of tights would work just as well.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 08:01:27 AM »
... I wear a balaclava when it gets very cold but I could imagine your pair of tights would work just as well.
...not so sure about that, Doug. Think how impractical tights could be when it's coffee-time! At least a balaclava has a hole to drink through!  ;D ;D ;D
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 08:12:09 AM »
I have a wood burner in my double skin brick workshop and it would have to be a REALLY cold day before I could have that going and the door next to it shut at the same time. It works well, a nice warm workshop with an ample supply of fresh air. Half the heat goes straight out the door so it wouldn't make sense if the fuel had to be paid for but it does mean I can sit under the veranda with a nice cuppa even in winter. :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »
.... I can sit under the veranda with a nice cuppa even in winter. :)
....keep advertising info like that and you'll have half the forum members calling in to see you!  ;D
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 10:00:49 AM »
:)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Gizmo3k

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 11:39:58 AM »

Maybe there is a little lumberjack in all of us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZa26_esLBE