Author Topic: Crafts Council Manifesto  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Crafts Council Manifesto
« on: November 13, 2014, 07:52:54 PM »
Have we picked up on this from the Crafts Council. They see the need for crafts as a necessary part of the education and learning process and to put craft at" the heart of education", they want more of it in our schools.

http://www.craftscouncil.org.uk/content/files/7822_Education_manifesto%4014FINAL.PDF

On the other side of the coin I did see an article a few days ago that said that crafts people working from home and selling locally were worth £6B to the economy.

That and about 25% of all people who have entered employment (come off Government support) are 'Self Employed', presumably a lot of them are 'Crafts' people.

Or am I just an old cynic?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Crafts Council Manifesto
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:40:18 PM »
When do I get my share of the £6b then?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:46:41 PM »
Have you sen John Ives (head designer for Apple) speech at the London's Design Museum last night? He was talking about the lack of education in crafts and design, especially hands on and says they have difficulty recruiting new designers. All along t a similar theme.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:04:46 AM »
The Maker community is on the rise Globally with people turning to hand/self made projects rather than buying from bigger companies even Ikea are selling flat pack houses.

You see it on the news all the time "Retired Mother Builds Dream Home!" "Man Builds Hobbit House in the side of a Hill!"

I think we have reached a point now with the internet having so much info that people are able to learn how to do pretty much anything they want.

YouTube can teach you to Turn/Sculpt/Build/Mould/Weld/Paint/Make/Cook whereas 5-10 years ago people didn't really know much about it.

If you can't find it on YouTube you can find it on Forums like this one give it a try think of something really crazy and Google how to build/make it, I bet you will find something.

Ryan

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 08:47:49 AM »
I find it very frustrating that crafts should now be taught in schools as the schools have spent the last 2 decades selling off their graduate lathes because they "don't need" them. It is obvious to me that the same lunatics making decisions then are the same ones making them now. We should kick out the intellectuals who are still getting it wrong and run the country using craftsmen/women.

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:23:45 AM »
Here Here BHT
John
John English

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter