Author Topic: Christmas Fair  (Read 4911 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Christmas Fair
« on: December 02, 2014, 04:43:03 PM »
I plan to attend a Christmas Fair on the weekend, but was short of bowls, so I've had a couple of sessions at the lathe making a very varied batch with the idea that even if we don't sell any, we'll at least be getting seen and known locally. All the bowls are finished with a brush coat of melamine which I then wipe off after a few minutes with tissue paper liberally wetted with thinners, then a couple of coats of micro-crystaline wax.

This first one is 24cm diameter (9.5") x 4cm deep (1.6") and has an ogee curve and a 5cm (2") foot that is just about as high as a match stick.....just enough to give the impression that the convex part of the curve sweeps all the way under the bowl. It had been cut from a complex crotch area of small branches and is riddled with hairline cracks and knots, so lots of ca adhesive went into it. The brass plinth is not a part of the bowl, it's just there for the sake of the photo.

Next is a simple little natural-edged piece of bone-dry spalted ash. I wasn't planning to sweep the wings up quite so much, but the piths of all three of the branches radiating out of this had bad star shakes which took a lot of filling. I think that I had two choices, either to end the bowl fairly flat, below the piths, or to sweep it up as I did and include the piths. Not sure I got it right!

Next comes a really nice piece of oak that I had forgotten I had in stock. it's a little over 18cm x 10cm (7" x 4") and is in the style of a calabash, based on the partial sphere of the bottle gourd. It has one dead knot which had partially fallen away, so needed a lot of packing with shavings/dust/ca glue. Perhaps I'll refer to it as its 'Beauty spot'!

Then something about as different as you can get to the oak, a piece of poplar with a fair bit of burr in it. I've left all the defects in knots open on the outside of the bowl, but filled all the imperfections on the inside. The red lines are stained with Chestnut red stain, applied quite thinly, so that the grain and an occasional bit of chatoyance show through.

...and finally comes a piece of elm that owes me, big style!. Apart from being fairly expensive these days (understandably), this had a little bit of worm visible on the surface, but when I cut into it, it was riddled. Nothing prepared me for the amount of time that was then going to be spent rough turning, filling, finish turning, filling, sanding, filling and more sanding. I'll never get my money back on it and I've just got to hope that the filling doesn't put too many people off. Someone will like it (hopefully).

C&C always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Christmas Fair
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 07:18:22 PM »

Got some really nice diverse forms there, Les. Yew have nailed the Ogee there, looking at the last picture, we can see over the rim, is it the angle or has it moved.

Ash you've done such a good job to the winged form should have it flying of the stand.

O(a)k to on the Calabash, you've been spending your time on research well. Nice piece, lot happening in the grain, without the knot.

Don't know how poplar the red bands will be to some, I think they set the piece off well, again lot happening in there, guess what I can see job.

You'll worm your way into a good sale on the Elm, it looks good from here any way, little bit of added interest makes it all the better.. maybe. Nice highlight to the rim as well. Did it nap, crackle and pop in the microwave.

Wish you well at the Fair, will watch this space.   Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Lez,

So you had a couple of sessions in the workshop and - wow.

Truly the only one that does not appeal to me is the Poplar and I think that id just because the photo does not show the inner curve to be a refection of the outer curve. I am quite sure it does and as such it is just an illusion.

As for the Elm, it might owe you, but it is truly sumptuious.

Best of luck with the fair.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »

Hi Les
           Some lovely bowls there I wish you every success at the Christmas Fair these should Bowl the public over don't forget to take a photo of your stand.
                           The very best of luck John :) :) 
John Smith

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 07:00:57 AM »
Nice work Les, all of them look great but the Elm may have taken some time but it get my 10  :)

Ed

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 05:48:41 PM »

These are all very crisp and clean Les ...... with a lovely finish.
     Wish you well for the weekend
      Tony and Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 09:42:19 AM »
You are going to do well with that lot.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Christmas Fair *** Update ***
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 03:59:18 PM »
Well...all went very well, indeed. We had two 4ftx2ft tables set one in front of the other, which made a 4ft square, and I'm not a lover of dead square proportions, so we altered the space that we were given by playing with the vertical layout, using boxes and perspex cubes, all covered with a black drape....and we managed to squeeze a few extra things onto a window sill.
We didn't sell any bowls, which really didn't matter as we've got a couple of shops waiting for stock, but what really sold well (apart from a £50 platter) was a load of small stuff, especially the Xmas trees on the left of the photo. Then we doubled our takings at the end of the day when the manager of the venue bought a batch of bowls and candle-sticks off us for her shop. All in all, a successful day, especially as it was our first fair.....we cleared £300 after stall costs, when other stall holders around us hardly took a penny all day. There was the usual array of cards and stationery, knitted dolls and jewelry, and we had competition from one other turner.

Les
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:26:47 PM by gwyntog »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 05:32:43 PM »
Well done Les,

The manager bought for his shop, is that another outlet for your work then?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 05:54:43 PM »
The manager bought for his shop, is that another outlet for your work then?

We had a few bits and pieces there before, but the previous manager was very disorganised and I'd given up on them. It was formerly sale-or-return and they were selling an average of one item every two months, yet expecting me to call there every month to do a stock check, raise an invoice and replenish their stock.......as if! The new arrangement is a straight-sale-invoice and it costs me just 5% above the old arrangement. I'm happy with that.

The final figure for the day was £335.50 plus a commission order.  :)
Les
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 07:30:08 PM by gwyntog »

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »

Wow .. one impressive stall, good mix and you've an idea as to the local market and what they'll buy. Glad you're pleased with the results of your first event.

Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 09:13:20 PM »

A nice selection of pieces and a very successful first fair.
       Well Done
       Di and Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »
well done Les, I am glad it was a success for you. Hope your well catch up soon.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 09:19:33 AM »
Well done Les, comes out at £268.40 because you are going to pay your income tax I assume?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
Great result Les, and I think the tax will be less than BHT as worked out because you will be able to claim expenses  :)

Ed