A good choice of lathe?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
5 (71.4%)
Unsure
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Charnwood W880 lathe  (Read 11604 times)

Ryan Davenport AWGB

Charnwood W880 lathe
« on: December 12, 2014, 09:55:28 PM »
Hi does anyone have any reviews in regards to the charnwood W880 lathe, any opinions would be greatly appreciated, it seems to have a good spec.
Thanks in advance.
Happy Turning

Ryan Davenport AWGB

Re: Charnwood W880 lathe
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:48:41 PM »
Hi Ryan

If your looking to spend that sort of money take a good look at the Axminster AT1628VS http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-at1628vs-woodturning-lathe

Regards

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 09:05:59 AM »
The axi 1628 does get A LOT of good reviews.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 09:09:35 AM »
Yes I have noticed the good reviews, the thing is I can get the charnwood version for £1299 at present which I thought was a hell of a machine for the money, and I like the fact that it will do 18" , any further information would be greatly appreciated, thanks again

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 11:01:50 AM »
Chances are they are both made by Burt, Ryan,
http://burtgroup.en.made-in-china.com/product/BbemUnGVvQHq/China-18-X47-Wood-Lathe-1500W-MC1847VF-.html

Personally I wouldn't spend that sort of money on a generic machine but if you feel it's a price you are happy to pay then go for it & happy turning.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 11:04:23 AM »
What sort of machine would you recommend for around £1300? Any ideas and info would be of great help.

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 09:17:57 AM »
Personally from what I've seen of new lathes in your budget Ryan I think I would look at getting a decent second hand machine, for that sort of money you should be able to pick up a substantial lathe.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 09:20:26 AM »
What is the best type of lathe for me to look for around the £1300 mark, any advice would be greatly appreciated, I do like the union graduate though, what I learnt on  ::)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 10:41:37 AM »
didn`t Axminster drop this machine or their version,because of unreliability
welcome to my woodturning world

woody

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 12:09:11 PM »
The only experience I have with charnwood is there band saw and going by the quality of that they wont be getting any more of my money its a load of rubbish and they weren't a lot of help in the end I had to strip it down and rebuild it because some of the parts were assembled the wrong way round as for there lathe sorry I cant help you

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 12:44:27 PM »
didn`t Axminster drop this machine or their version,because of unreliability

Wasn't it the AWVSWL 1200 .... At the time everybody raved about it .. A must have .. Ticked the boxes in 2009 at £861 .. It got upgraded towards the end, then did anyone know it was likely to be the end via Ax.

What is in a name, if the service and backup is good ... If you can live with the color ... Should it meet your requirement and the price is right, it's a case of grow into the lathe and not out of it, which happens with most, as always go to buy the best .. Here's where your question comes in ... Check the S/H Market if new is not so important .. Lot of good pre-owned lathes offered and changing hands, some may hardly have been used.

Though this one is not for me .. Then I've a Lathe .... At that time I went new myself as all those years ago, the options where not like today, and such a minefield with Suppliers.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 02:28:49 PM »
Would i be better with going for something like a union graduate ? Any advice on makes and models would be great, I'm basically wanting a lathe that I won't have to replace again and that is usable on a professional level.
I have around £1300 to depend on one. I'm looking to turn up to around 18" bowls.
Thanks in advance for time to read and help.
Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a good New Year
Thanks again
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:31:26 PM by Ryan Davenport AWGB »

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »
the Jet 1642 its a totaly different machine to the Charnwood 880,bearing in mind the 2" difference in the swing for a start,then theres the input wattage,on the Jet its 1100 watts,on the Charnwood its 1500 watts,the castings are different,shall I go on etc;.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 04:13:38 PM »

Now the Jet, as Eric mentions is a whole different ball game in build and quality, and it comes at a price. How much the build/quality varies with any manufacture is to be seen, most can stand a little refining/deburring.

With the Graduate there's a lot of mostly long beds out there, you'd at best consider a short bed should you find one, if you get one, single or 3 phase, you'd likely need to allow for conversion to vari-speed, the kits are there if you shop round, and makes for a far better lathe.

You'll find the outboard is left hand thread so it's finding accessories or have faceplates/chucks cut with both threads.

Buying S/H you'll have dismantle/collection/handling/carriage etc, where a new buy would be delivered and if really good into your workshop, well garage and not the pavement drop.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''