Author Topic: Favourite pieces of woodwork  (Read 4792 times)

Offline TWiG

• gold
Favourite pieces of woodwork
« on: February 09, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »
Finished this one a while back and feel it is one of my best pieces so far, ( spalted HC burr about  12" tall ) it has had pride of place at home for a while  and I like it so much I am reluctant to sell it  , I also have a very large driftwood mirror that I probably will not sell either , I can recall where I collected each piece of driftwood whilst out and about on the coast so it has a personal value to me as well , also the same with a walking stick I made for walking the SW coast path (about half done ) I put so much time in to making it just for personal satisfaction I could not , or would not recoup costs anyway but that was never the intention . Does anyone else do this ? make something that you just want to keep for personal reasons regardless of time / effort / cost  ?  .... Terry [/img]

Offline TWiG

• gold
Re: Favourite pieces of woodwork
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:59:49 PM »
Pic of walking stick missing from above post

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:09:42 PM »
Hi Terry

I have a few bits that I will not part with, not as grand as yours one is my very first bowl from college when I served my apprenticeship complete with felt bottom. Another is the first bowl I turned when I started woodturning last year, lastly is the pointless pot and stand that I hand carved it took days of work so that will stay with me as well  :)

First image turned 29/12/2013 second turnd 3/12/2014 what a different's a year makes :)

Ed

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 02:20:21 PM »

We have also kept a few pieces Terry.... Some for sentimental reasons ..Bonsai....the Amphora with Vine leaves
     our first attempt at a arty piece and also some collaborative pieces we did and posted last year.....but pride of place will allways
     goes to... Tonys first Oak Burr Roll over Bowl .

Di and Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 04:11:45 PM »
I've given this a lot of thought, as there are a few pieces that could hold the title for me. However, there is one piece that stands out for the technical difficulty, as well as the end result - it's my trail-flask in sycamore and myrtle. I'll never sell it!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 04:46:56 PM »
This is probably mine for several reasons. First time I tried gilt leaf, using up scraps and actually planning what to do with something instead of flying blind. I have a silly price on it which I would sell for but am happy to have it as a decorative piece for myself.
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 06:31:04 PM »
Good to see that not everyone is totally mercenary !!   Every so often I harbour thoughts about making something just to test / prove to myself what I am capable of where time / materials are of no consequence whatsoever .  I just have not actually committed to anything yet but it might well be an item of furniture , most likely a grand  chair or throne of some sort probably with no, or very little turning involved , but this will have to wait till the weather is warmer as I do not have sufficient space in my shed so will be mostly working out of doors .

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »
Yes, the tall goblet I won the instant gallery with at the AWGB AGM 2 years ago.

For information (again) it's Applewood branch and American Black Walnut and stands 22" tall.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 06:37:44 PM »
Some great stuff on here  chaps , glad to see I am not the only one who covets there own efforts ( some times ! ) I feel they are some times  a defined step up from previous efforts , or a new level of the bar being raised and are very useful in the learning process a sort of tangible reminder of  achievement  of skills and inspiration / design , I am currently working on some " composition pieces "  which is new to me and may post if they turn out as I hope they do .  Terry..

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 06:53:39 PM »
I also keep one or two pieces that are bad as examples of how not to do / design things. Come in useful at demos sometimes.

Pete

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 08:29:41 AM »
Some lovely bits on view here. I am not surprised you are keeping them. Put them all on a table and I would not relish having to choose a winner.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 07:10:34 PM »
I also keep one or two pieces that are bad as examples of how not to do / design things.

Hands up those that don't have these sorts of pieces, hmmm, don't see any hands yet!

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 07:14:49 PM »
I also keep one or two pieces that are bad as examples of how not to do / design things.

Hands up those that don't have these sorts of pieces, hmmm, don't see any hands yet!

maybe a thread with 'The one that didn't work' pieces LOL. Who goes first.

pete