Author Topic: Roughing out  (Read 3548 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Roughing out
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:45:19 PM »
Yesterday Mark Sanger and I roughed out some Mulberry Bowls.
This is the hardest wood I have ever turned it was cut down a couple of months ago so it is still wet.
Even using Cryo gouges we were continually sharpening so much that we left the grinder running.
I did not think we had done very well until I counted up and it was 56 in two hours just over 4 minutes each.
If it had been something like Sycamore or Beech I am sure we would have done better.

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Roughing out
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »
i must say george, i'm very green with envy you having all that mulberry. it is rock hard when wet or dry in my opinion very like osage orange to which it is related and on both you can get a high shine just by sanding and buffing.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 03:49:11 PM »
Only turned a bit of mulberry and like you said it was like rock. Mine changed colour a lot as it dried as well so be interesting to see how that lot goes, already have quite a bit of variation there. Not going to colour that lot are you? LOL

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 04:23:27 PM »
It was hard work, I was using the PRO M so harder than your gouge George but still had to sharpen much more than normal.

Still it was an experience, never turned mulberry before, and won't turn it again  :) horrible stuff.

Here is a picture of the pile part way through, still a lot more for you to get through George, send me a picture when your done.  :)

and here is a pic of some of the beautiful free cutting spalted sycamore I forgot to bring you  ;D ;D, processed for hollow forms and boxes. Tell  you what George you keep yours and I'll keep mine.  :) :)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 04:31:02 PM »
Hi Mark.

Don't forget I am with you next week so you better hide it or some might disappear.LOL

Regards George

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 04:36:06 PM »
i must say george, i'm very green with envy you having all that mulberry. it is rock hard when wet or dry in my opinion very like osage orange to which it is related and on both you can get a high shine just by sanding and buffing.
It will be interesting to see how stable it is when drying

Only turned a bit of mulberry and like you said it was like rock. Mine changed colour a lot as it dried as well so be interesting to see how that lot goes, already have quite a bit of variation there. Not going to colour that lot are you? LOL

Pete

It might be good to color when it is dry Pete the grain is absolutely amazing.

Regards George

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 04:38:34 PM »
it'll be turned by then, seasoning ready for me to exhibit and demonstrate at The Contemporary Craft Festival, Bovey Tracey, Devon 5-7th of June

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 05:27:04 PM »
It will be interesting to see how stable it is when drying

from memory it's fairly stable like robinia but has a tendency to split so i recommend you cover them in thick pva keep them out of the wind and light and leave them for a year or two.

if you found it that much trouble to turn i'll have the rest. ;D

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 06:07:36 PM »
You are very kind

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 08:25:27 PM »
I don't know, two men in a shed roughing out. What will they ever think of next. Well done to the both of you and many thanks for posting the pictures of the wood for us to drool over. Les

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 08:35:33 AM »
Hi Les

I know the things we do when we get bored. :) :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 08:21:39 PM »
Goerge, you've done well with that pile of 'Free' Mulberry you got. Though I doubt that's the end of it.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of it at the end of the day as you start to finish the pieces.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 09:54:06 PM »
Yes Bryan I have no idea but I know it will not keep its yellow colour.
The most interesting thing about it is the grain it is beautiful,

Regards George