Author Topic: Stapled yew vase  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Stapled yew vase
« on: March 08, 2015, 07:03:39 PM »
I really enjoy working on these whacky, stitched and/or stapled vases, and this one certainly didn't let me down. I bought the lump of yew, which is big enough to make 2 of these, in the knowledge that it had loads of splits and cracks in it.....good wood can be so boring at times! Altogether there are 42 staples, each of which was individually cut out of Sterling Silver wire, plus the silver band at the top, and the mount for the stone. For each staple, as for the band, 2 holes have to be drilled half way through the thickness of the wall of the vase (so that's 86 holes), then the staple is dipped into super glue and pressed into the holes.
It stands about a foot tall, and is 4" diameter at its widest point.

C&C always welcome....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Stapled yew vase
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 07:44:44 PM »
Hi Les.

I very much appreciate the skill and time taken to produce this sort of work but it does not really float my boat.
The finish is great and I am sure this must have been a bit difficult to turn.
Sorry to be negative

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 07:56:58 PM »
Hi Les.

I very much appreciate the skill and time taken to produce this sort of work but it does not really float my boat.
The finish is great and I am sure this must have been a bit difficult to turn.
Sorry to be negative

Regards George
Your comments are not taken in  any negative way, George. Personal taste is just that....personal taste. The fact that a professional turner of your experience has  appreciated the skill involved and the quality of the finish is very encouraging and much appreciated.

Thanks, george....Les

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 08:16:28 PM »
 I quite like this , good to see some deep strong curves in a piece , rather than something obviously made from a short plank , the colouring is good and I am sure it will look great  on display in your shop . It makes me think that perhaps you were inspired by the Ffestiniog railway !!!  ( not certain of spelling )    well done Les ..... Terry...

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 08:17:41 PM »
I like this sort of thing but for me there are too many staples. Again it is personal taste but I would prefer it with far fewer as they detract from what is essentially a lovely turned vase in my eyes. The band and the inset cabochon worl well.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 09:24:34 PM »
Pete beat me to it Les, I like it but feel there are too many staples and I really like the silver around the cabochon.
 How did you get the silver wire (dipped in CA)  into the holes without any overspill?  That was nicely done. I wonder if it would look better (to me) if the staples were zig-zagged?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:32:12 PM »
....How did you get the silver wire (dipped in CA)  into the holes without any overspill?....

Once the holes are all pre-drilled and the staples cut, I put a few drops of ca adhesive onto a scrap of timber, pick up a staple in a pair of jewelers square-jawed pliers, dip the ends of the staple into the adhesive and then guide the staple into the hole. Of all the staples, only two failed to hold throughput the buffing process (and they've obviously been replaced), so the system seems to work!

Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 09:36:41 PM »
Ok guys, I beg to differ about the spacing of the stitches....and here's my evidence. I was accused of offering evidence in another thread, a few days ago, that was little better than anecdotal because it was not backed up with references, so here's a pic to render the situation. it's my mate Richard Brackenbury, who fell off a roof a few days ago. Don't know about you but I think that he needs a little cabochon to set those staples off a treat.

Les

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 09:45:02 PM »
Ouch
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 10:19:57 PM »
Hi Les
I really like this piece. The form is very much to my taste and the staples add a great contrast. A bit of rust on the staples would look good also, just my thought.

I wish Richard a quick and pain free recovery.I do however appreciate the quality of stitching and staples and it certainly adds evidence to your staple input, I reckon you should get a job in A&E mate as I would be happy to have you on the gun. :) :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 11:30:06 PM »
Hmmm, Frankenvase!

So I've got to ask, do you space out the pre-drilled holes with calipers, they look very evenly spaced and of equal width.

The strange thing is I like the curved line of staples that wander around with the dark crack but the almost straight line of them lack something by way of contrast, I know they are also holding together the crack but as it's not so pronounced in its colour, they almost seem unnecessary.

And I hope that your friend Richard is not so badly hurt as the photo intimates, please pass our best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 07:08:05 AM »
.....So I've got to ask, do you space out the pre-drilled holes with calipers.....
Yes, Bryan....I start by putting masking tape along the line of the crack, then draw along the line with pencil, and I draw a line parallel to it, 5mm apart. I bend the staples in the jaws of a pliers, so they are all the same width (10mm), which means I can set a calipers to that width and use it to mark out the centres and the distance apart.
Les

p.s. ... I love the idea of the name 'Frankenvase'

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 08:56:12 AM »
Hope your mate recovers OK. Perhaps this form of decoration should be named after him in future? :D :D

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 12:33:54 PM »

Like the Form and Lovely Finish. ....The second photo is particularly appealing.
   Like Mark we feel the silver is a bit bright perhaps as the silver ages it will get a darker patina.
   which will then blend better.
   Kind Regards
   Di & Tony

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/