Author Topic: C&C  (Read 6226 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: C&C
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 08:29:16 AM »
I have noticed on a lot of the postings recently we are getting more honest critique and less bull shit which is good.
I think this thread has done good and made people think about their comments.
It has certainly made me think more positively.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 09:22:30 AM »
I'd noticed that George. Whilst it is nice to have people like your stuff an honest negative critique makes you look again at something. As long as the critique gives reasons I think it is a good thing. <ay not always like it for those first few moments LOL, but always worth getting.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 03:37:30 AM »
I believe that critique is the tool we have to improve (and not only our turnings!). A critique can help both the the person being criticized and the critic. Obviously there must be a good disposition from both for this to happen.
Making a good, meaningful critique involves studying the piece, seeing the profile and the overall shape and final result. I distinguish this from the real technical aspect such as noticing the presence of o little technical flaws such as tear out, tool marks etc, easy to detect and distinct from shape etc..
All this is a process that implies observation and analysis. The conclusions reached must then be put into words and this is another task. There can be a good technical critique but badly exposed.
Then there is the other side, the person being criticized. I always accept all the critiques and confront them with what I see in my piece. Often I agree with them, only occasionally not. Also analyzing a critique from the point of view of the person being criticized is an important step in the process of learning.
In conclusion I think that CandC is a win and win situation perhaps to be abbreviated as WandW?
Regards.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »
Critique is a hard thing to do, for this reason I generally don't critique other peoples work, if I like something then I will say.

One of my concerns is that unless I know the turner, how long they have been turning, what they intended with the piece in relation to their decided outcome they it is very hard for me to give a critique.

Also I am very conscious that without care a critique can greatly demoralize the maker, so as has been said a critique for me should be carefully constructed.

Of course there is the professional art critique that often rips apart a persons work  :) :) I'm glad I am not an artist  :) :)

It is a hard process but if we are honest, considerate an constructive then a critique can help a great deal.

My favorite is to be very self critical, in this we can be really honest with ourselves without telling others what we think  :) :)

Which ever way critiques are difficult for both the maker putting their work up for such as well as the person giving the critique. 

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »
Here is the AAW's guide to best practice on critique. I had a beer with Jim in Phoenix last year and he said he was planning to update this. We had a great conversation and exchange of ideas but I know he has been busy on other things recently, so the update hasn't happened.

Happy reading!

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 10:22:02 PM »
I red the Article recommended.  It is in line with my idea but...it makes me feel like we live in a world of ungrown kids who get upset for nothing. We have to grow up I believe.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 08:59:01 AM »
I red the Article recommended.  It is in line with my idea but...it makes me feel like we live in a world of ungrown kids who get upset for nothing. We have to grow up I believe.

:) :) :) I agree. But then is that not the human race in general.  :) :) Apologies for taking it off track.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 09:01:48 AM »
I think some people want critique as long as it says what they want to hear. Some people are blunter than others in their comments but personally I can see through the bluntness and no that it given in good heart. Like you say Sevilla there are a lot of 'ungrown kids' out there.
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 09:21:02 AM »
What do we think C&C stands for is it Comments and critique or Comments and compliments.
Do we really deep down want members to offer honest critique on something we have made and think we have done rather well with.Or do we really want members to say how wonderful our work is and to make us feel good about ourselves.
When we start turning all of our friends and family tell us how clever we are and how wonderful everything we make is.
Then we join a Forum in the hope that other turners will further boost our egos.
Is it right or fair to tell new turners their work is good when very often it is far less than good would it not be better to be honest and say well yes you have made a start but you have a long way to go and you need to be more aware of good and poor form and good and poor finish.
And is form and finish subjective or are there forms that work and forms that don't.
I know it is important to offer support and inspiration but are we doing new turners any favors by not being honest with them.
I  regularly see new turners put up work asking for C&C and what they get is a lot of flannel is this helpful.
Please take note I have not given an opinion here I have just asked questions and I am interested in members views.

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything