Author Topic: Same wood different form ...  (Read 2211 times)

Offline TWiG

• gold
Same wood different form ...
« on: March 14, 2015, 07:25:18 PM »
Recently finished these two , a hollow form with 3 carved feet , 12" tall from spalted Ash and a bowl 12" dia 5" deep from same wood , I just thought it would be interesting to see  the same wood displayed in different ways ..... Terry..

Offline TWiG

• gold
Re: Same wood different form ...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 07:26:53 PM »
Bowl missing from above !!!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 07:36:02 PM »
Was the Hollow form turned wet it seems to have a flattish side and then about two thirds up it suddenly changes direction.
The form does not flow for me.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »

Terry..... Looking at the  flow of the grain ....  where the heavy spalting is .... I take it the neck is the Natural Edge... At the
     edge of the tree.... and being very soft. Must have been very difficult to do without damaging it.
     Well Done.
     Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 06:57:06 PM »
George , I really am perplexed as to where you see a "sudden change in direction " enough to feel it  spoils the form so much  .   Yes of course it was turned wet , a piece of Ash of this dimension  would be hard to find fully seasoned and then would be less pleasant  to work , there will of course be some distortion of the overall shape but for me this  is both expected and desired as I prefer / intend my work to have an organic , natural feel and appearance to them , it is from a real tree made of wood felled by myself !   Terry ..

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 08:28:11 PM »
Sorry I have perplexed you Terry I now realise you did not ask for C&C so I should not have commented.
But as I have the reason I asked you if you turned it wet was because that would explain what I saw as a change in direction.
I have obviously offended you and I can only apologise to you and promise not to comment on your work in the future.

Regards George

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 08:39:38 PM »
George , I am only perplexed not offended !!,  ( things may come across differently when written and not spoken ) C&C is expected , does any one else see this sudden change of direction ?  if the consensus is yes it goes in the woodburner lol  .. Terry ..

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 08:42:32 PM »
I'm sure that I see a difference between left and right sides, but no more than I would expect to see in a wet-turned-and-let-it-move type of bowl. The right side does appear to flatten a little, but what the heck....nature did that!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 08:44:48 PM »
Hi Terry.

What I see as the shoulder in my opinion could have been just a bit gentler that in my opinion would have made the bottom look a little less bulbous if that makes any sense.This is just my opinion of course and does not necessarily make me right.

Regards George

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 08:59:04 PM »
 Remember that the photography and the lighting can make shapes seem different also the appearance can seem entirely different, I have seen so many members say I have seen this in real life and it is even better. ;)

Regards John

John Smith