General Category > General Discussion

Purchasing from the USA

<< < (2/4) > >>

Philip Greenwood:
Hello John

Thanks for this post i have look at the USA market for tools and equipment but been put off with the red tape of importing.

Could you tell me if with all the extra costs it was worth the cost.

Thank
Philip

Martin Lawrence:
Hi Philip,

It obviously depend on what you wish to buy, in many cases you can save a lot, I bought a chainsaw and even with the import, VAT costs etc still saved £200 on the best price I could get in the UK.

Cheers Martin.

John D Smith:
Hi Philip,the items I purchased were Bracelet Helpers which I couldn't find in the UK I was happy enough with the overall cost but the £8 handling fee by the Royal Mail seemed extortionate.

David,Yes I did have a card pushed through the door saying pay up and come and collect they would only deliver in the next 5 days if you paid up on line.

Martin, you are right looking at some of the prices of tools in the USA even with the extra costs it would still be cheaper

Regards John

woodndesign:

John,  As I'd said...  I think both VAT & RM fee are down right robbery....   just recently we've had mail which has had under payment as postage, not only have we had to pay for someone elses short payment, over weight or reuse of used stamps..  but a £1.00 for handling..  which they do the same if it had full or right postage...   ??? ...
We mail most days of the week, at a cost of £2.07 upto 100gram for World via Air Mail, £2.35 to the next at 120gram..  the rest is shocking...  of the wife's business, it's RM that is making any profit from it...   but then we couldn't deliver 2 doz an more each day, World wide at the price..  an the Ladies are very nice at the PO..   :) ...

David

Dave Harding:
VAT is and always been a tax on the final consumer. Manufacturers and retailers do not "make money" on VAT. It does in fact COST them large sums of money in staff and accountants fees to administer the tax on behalf of the Government.

Please do not blame those not responsible. Blame successive governments who see indirect tax as an easy option - just look at petrol and Diesel costs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version