Author Topic: Felling along rail lines (and roads)  (Read 2530 times)

Offline vyvsdad

• copper
Felling along rail lines (and roads)
« on: March 30, 2015, 02:12:26 PM »
Hello all

The other day I was on a train, and a gang had recently been along the cut through which we were travelling doing a bit of felling, and I had a thought what happens to all of that timber?
There were some good sized Ash, Beech and Sycamore logs, amongst other stuff I'm sure, which are just what I'm after. So my question is, do any of you know what DOES happen to it? I imagine that to gain permission to collect it would probably involve a whole new world of bureaucracy and Health and Safety shenanigans, and to just help my self would probably involve trespass and be highly dangerous, but surely they can't just leave it there to rot, can they?

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Dan

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: Felling along rail lines (and roads)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:20:59 PM »
Hi

I know down near the rail line to us they on occasions do leave some logs etc in the hedges to rot for insects/wildlife, but not sure what they do with the rest.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »
Not sure how legally correct this is so don't quote me but if it has been cut down in situ it belongs to whoever owns the land. Some can be left as mark says for wildlife, most is either chipped, usually on site, or, in the case of some private tree surgeons cut up for firewood. If you catch them in the act the fellers sometimes let you have some if you smile nicely at them so always worth asking. Best bets are the one man band tree surgeons who do gardens etc and often either let you have some or sell it off to you cheap.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:20:33 PM »
They have just cut down all the trees along the railway line at the back of my unit I got the guy to pass a stack of wood over the fence and gave them a drink but other than that it's just left there.

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:22:31 PM »
After the 87 Storm, my Dad acquired loads of logs for the fire just by asking the guys cutting them up in the local parks. Admittedly it save them dragging the stuff away and burning it.

Pete is right, one-man-bands are only too please to give the stuff away, they'll still charge the person to have it taken away and burnt, but you save them the time, cost and effort (or at least some of it).

If it's just laying around, and I found some the other day, not sure what, probably a hedgerow bush like blackthorn, I call it FOG wood (Found on Ground).
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 07:54:51 PM »
I actually tried to look up FOG wood the first time I heard that.  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline vyvsdad

• copper
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:39:40 AM »
I've got plenty of wood from one man bands in the past, they are generally happy to oblige.
The bits of woods I spied from the train where big though. Its hard to be precise as I was passing by on the train, but I'd imagine 300mm diameter (plus) by about 2 metres long.
As it happens I was talking to my father in law about this the other day and it just so happens that he know s someone whose son works in one of these gangs, so I might well have more info straight from the horses mouth.

I'll keep you posted.

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 10:33:17 AM »
vyvsdad  when trees are cut on along the railway they should be chipped or removed from site. If they are not to be removed from site they must be stacked and bound with wire and secured with nails so that they can not be put on the line and derail a train.
If you wanted the trees you would have to put in a safety case to network rail, you would also have to use and pay for network rail personel to remove any wood that you want.
If you ask the guys cutting down the trees on the railway for wood they must go by what their smow's says (safe method of working) if they deviate from that in any way they will all be dismissed and the company that they work for will get a heavy fine or loose the contract.
I hope that this helps Les