General Category > General Discussion

Hollowing tool recommendations please.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Mark Hancock:

--- Quote from: theblindwoodturner on July 06, 2011, 09:13:46 PM ---Thankyou John, I appreciate that. Could you give me an idea of the maximum hollowing depth I could achieve with the mega set?

cheers.

lew

--- End quote ---
Hi Lew
Just to clarify there are 3 sizes of Munro hollowing tool, the Mini on a 1/2" shaft, the Standard on a 5/8" shaft and the Mega/Jumbo on a 3/4" shaft. The Standard and the Mega both use the same design and size of head.
http://www.magma-tools.de/Director/idKey/GRP1139610270922/name/Munro-Tool/
The Mini & Standard are available through Axminster and their agents and the Jumbo may be available through Classic Hand Tools

Mark

theblindwoodturner:
Hi Brian, thanks for your comments. I've been hollowing for a number of years but have had some trouble with one or two products in the past and need a stable solution. I like the sound of the munro tool and might check this out.

cheers

lew

Tim Davies:
Hi Lew
I've had a set of Munro's for about two years now.  It took a little while to appreciate them and discover all the quirks, but now I find that I use them more and more as confidence grows. They will remove woods fast when needed and make controlled cuts and fine finishing.  Great for getting under rims.  I think that they are a great tool.  Sorby now make something similar, but having looked at it and tried it out, I prefer the Munro.
Timd

theblindwoodturner:
now I feel like a Gerbil powering a lathe.

I'm between 3 hollowing rigs and now confused lol

The threee are:

Munro system,

Woodcut proforme system (Phil Irons Woodturning ltd)

Big brother 2 system from hamlet / henry taylor.

lew

Andy Coates:
I think you're confusing yourself, Lew.

They're not "rigs", but deep hollowing tools. A DH rig is a captivating device, or combined cutter and rigid delivery system. A DHT is for hollowing. A DHT RIG is for hollowing without the physical stress involved in the DHT alone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version