Author Topic: Cherry Bowl  (Read 3520 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Cherry Bowl
« on: March 30, 2015, 10:57:14 AM »
At least I think it's cherry.....   Form was pretty much dictated by the wood.  I started off thinking it would be another winged bowl but there was too much rot at one end which needed to come out.  Base is still causing some issues....for this one I wanted an almost rounded base.  Got that fine but it doesn't sit quite right.  Will be takig it back in the workshop for further fettling shortly....  Very happy for any an all c&c :-)   

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Cherry Bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:10:01 AM »
Chris it looks as if you have turned and finished it very well.....however the style does absolutely nothung for me and I am afraid I do not like it at all. But this is part of your learning experience so should not be undervalued for that.
     I expect when Pete sees it he will like it as this is his cup of tea.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:16:06 AM »
The wood is lovely and yes i would have probably left some of the bark on as you have however I would have taken a lot more out of the inside. For me it is too chunky and heavy looking, like John, just my personal taste. The way you have turned it so the curved top and the underside meet centrally doesn't work, just exaggerates that heavy look. If the top had been done with a flat or less curved, narrow rim it would be a nice piece IMHO. Sorry  :'(

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:09:39 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it :-) 

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:37:26 PM »
Chris,

Yes, it's wrong but it would not have taken much to improve it.

Pete has said a larger bowl, probably with a tiny undercut to create a shadow line. A defining line (or small bead) around the bowl rim, with the corner of a skew.

That would have flattened the top a little as the top curve is a little too much.

And as John says, it's a good learning experience, so put it away and keep it. Pull it out in a few years and see haw much you've developed.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »
Thats a lot of very useful ideas for improvement coming in there.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »
Thanks Bryan, good learning experience which is what I'm after right now.

Out of interest......Pete talks about the top and bottom curve meeting at the centre......I wasn't sure that was right, didn't think I would have done that, its the sort of thing I would normally be aware of, so have just checked.....

It shows how deceptive a photo can be.......the top portion is actually .75",  the bottom is 1.25"........that's actually a ratio of about 1.6.......sounds familiar......where have I come across that recently ??     :D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 09:17:28 PM »
On a second look I can see that it isn't the centre as said, probably the overall thickness that made me see it that way. Aplogies for that

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 10:57:38 AM »
I think the underside looks fine. ;D
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:44:40 PM »
After looking at this again I think it would have worked had the insides been hollowed out a little more with possibly an undercut. But as Chris is at the start of his journey and that would require a more advanced cut I would not advocate him trying it at the moment. I agree with Bryan's comment, hold on to it and get it out again in a few months time and see how you have progressed. In time you may be able to alter this piece.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 07:33:07 PM »
A beaut piece of wood Chris and you have done it proud. I agree a slight undercut in the bowl itself would have added a depth to it and drawn the eye in. I do like your natural, Wabi-Sabi pieces. Keep up the turning and posting.

Thanks for sharing.