Author Topic: Hi From S Staffs.  (Read 7125 times)

Offline steve w

• bronze
Hi From S Staffs.
« on: April 05, 2015, 08:18:21 PM »
HI,

Just joined the forum and thought i better say hello, i have had a lathe for 4 yrs but due to family and work have not been able to make much use of it although i hope i can change that, my turnings are not good at the moment so wont put any pictures up wouldnt want to scare you, however i am good at making a pile of shavings to clean up, i have a load to learn so thought i better join this forum, thanks, Steve
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Hi From S Staffs.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 08:29:39 PM »
Steve,

welcome to the forum.

Feel free to post something when your ready, ask questions until then and where we can help and provide assistance we will.

And always remember, we were all once where you are now.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 09:04:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum Steve.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum Steve. Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions, I do it all the time.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 09:28:54 PM »
Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum never be afraid to post it's the way a lot of us have learnt from the other.

All the best

Ed

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 09:29:45 PM »
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum and to making shaving. If you're in the area near to me, can give you a pointer on making more ..  ;D .. PM .. (Private Message) me if not wishing to disclose your details.

You can also find 2 local Clubs: Mid-Staffs: http://www.mswa.co.uk/ and Cannock Chase Turners: http://chaseturners.org.uk/ ..

Hope these are of help.

Cheers David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »
Hi there Steve...a couple of years back I was in exactly your position. I bit the bullet and posted pictures of my work....sometimes I'd have done better to have kept the shavings and used the work as garden mulch, but the guys on this forum were brilliant....go for it!
Les

p.s. Welcome!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 08:26:38 AM »
Thank you for the welcome it is appreciated - funny enough i was mulching the garden yesterday, how much mulch can a garden take  ;)

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 08:41:39 AM »
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum and to making shaving. If you're in the area near to me, can give you a pointer on making more ..  ;D .. PM .. (Private Message) me if not wishing to disclose your details.

You can also find 2 local Clubs: Mid-Staffs: http://www.mswa.co.uk/ and Cannock Chase Turners: http://chaseturners.org.uk/ ..

Hope these are of help.

Cheers David

Hi David,

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply, about 4 yrs ago i did go to the Wolverhampton turners for a few meetings but was unable to continue with work and the family which was a sham as it is a good bunch,

I am not far from Cannock, just by Four Ashes, the problem i have had is i have tried to jump in to far when to be honest i dont know how to use the tools correctly - even watching youtube hasnt helped as it looks so easy, i have turned quite a few items and some look ok but i think its time i tried to get to know how to do it right and not just get by.

my set up is a bit rough and ready with linited tools whigh doesnt help - i try to use the wood which i find as i like the natural look of turned items.

Steve

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 08:57:42 PM »
how much mulch can a garden take  ;)

No idea but I havent exhausted the need of my neighbour yet!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 09:12:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum and addictive world of turning. The shavings are also brilliant for garden paths, acts as a mulch but also rots down so you can just keep adding to it. I seriously doubt whether you can post pictures any worse than all of us have done ourselves, not much scares us LOL

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 07:21:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum and addictive world of turning. The shavings are also brilliant for garden paths, acts as a mulch but also rots down so you can just keep adding to it. I seriously doubt whether you can post pictures any worse than all of us have done ourselves, not much scares us LOL

pete

lol - believe me my turning is not good -  i have been looking through this forum alot this weekend and all the turing is supurb, well beyond what i could hope to achieve, but as said everyone has to start off and learn, if i finish work early enough i will see if i cat take a few pictures.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 09:04:55 AM »
What you need Steve is tuition I expect.
Mark Hancock is not too far from you and he is a good Tutor.
http://www.markhancock.co.uk/
Or a couple of days in Somerset http://wwwartistry-in-wood.blogspot.co.uk/

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline roywathen

• iron
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 07:21:23 PM »
Steve,
  I would recommend a visit to a meeting of West Midlands Woodturners club which meets at Water Orton school, in particular you would find the hands on days of some benefit to you ( next one is 17th May), look on the website and read the newsletters to see what goes on, by the way, I am also in s.staffs ( tamworth) regards Roy.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 07:22:09 PM »
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum, If you are not too far from Mark Hancock I would recommend a day with him. I had an AWGB training day with mark not too long ago and came away with so much, I know Yandles is probably too far for you to travel but you would learn so much this week end. -- Julian
(Oh and George is a good tutor as well )
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian