Author Topic: Axminster O`Donnell jaws  (Read 3359 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Axminster O`Donnell jaws
« on: April 30, 2015, 12:00:29 PM »
Does anybody have the Axminster O`Donnell jaw package,have been on the web site and it gives two different measurements  for the inserts one paragraph says 25 &38 mm for the inside measurement of the dovetail that grips a dovetail spigot, the other says 18 & 32 for the same inserts,just been online trying to get a straight answer from Axminster and not getting anywhere so gave up in the end,now sitting here raging to myself argh !!!
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: Axminster O`Donnell jaws
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »
Hi Eric  --  Just come up from the shed for lunch but will dig out the box when I go back down for you.  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 12:28:38 PM »
Thanks Julian.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 12:56:18 PM »
Hi Eric,  Just been down to have a look at mine and the box doesn't tell you anything so I have the chuck in front of me with the two sets of inserts and compared them to the Axminster Info and they are the same. The first paragraph refers to the medium insert set and the second paragraph refers to the small insert set. If you want to confirm then send me a pm and you can give me a ring. If you are looking at the 100mm Jaw set then there is a typo in paragraph 1 where 38mm should read 32mm.100mm Jaw Set  --  Julian
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:09:18 PM by julcle »
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 01:53:10 PM »
thanks Julian,thats what I was trying to clear up with the Axminster chap,cheers.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
Hi Eric, - For fear of looking a complete idiot I may have to revise my earlier post for while down the pub last night with some friends being totally bored with politics talk, I was thinking about this and re-examined the Axminster site. This morning got some scrap and turned an 18, 25, 32 and 38mm spigot ends to match the inserts to them. The 25 and 38mm spigots are a perfect fit where as the 18 and 32mm ones are a little small so I think that where Axi says that they are 25mm & 38mm inserts this is the perfect circle size and that the 18 & 32mm reference is the lower tolerance size that they will fit. I have to say that the 18 & 32mm spigots don't need a great deal of tension to hold them tight. There was no fancy measurements but I measured the spigots on the callipers and rested the jaw inserts against them and there was a bit or rock on the 18 & 32mm spigot where there was not on the 25 & 38mm spigot.  Hope this hasn't confused you at all Eric but having said all this I do find the set extremely useful and they have become one of my preferred sets.  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 03:50:08 PM »
ah,yes,this is basically what I was trying to establish with the axi guy,but he just kept quoting the smaller size,thanks for doing that for me,I now know what the true circle size is,and its as quoted at the top of the advert,which means its next on my wish list haha,cheers,

Eric.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 04:11:26 PM »
Pity you don't live a bit closer, you could have borrowed them to try.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 09:10:37 AM »
that`s kind of you,I have used a 2" set at the first club I belonged to,but never the smaller ones,cheers.