Author Topic: Oak burr hollow form.  (Read 3999 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: Oak burr hollow form.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »
Great to see you hollowing Pete, practice in any discipline within turning is the only way. In relation to the forms there are so many variations, styles and cultures which makes it an interesting discipline. The form you have produced here is reminiscent of  Native American forms. They forms I turn are in no way unique to me and as has been mentioned many many times in various discussions they are all traced back to antiquity, keep up the good work and enjoy. Burr oak is certainly not an easy wood to hollow and I hope to get hollowing some of the beautiful burrs you kindly gave me.

In relation to C&C I always believe a helpful tool is to observe closely the type of cultures and forms we enjoy and to develop these to suit our own likes. I know my forms have changed gradually over the years and I guess they will continue to do so. 

Catch up soon 

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Oak burr hollow form.
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 07:04:31 PM »
Thank you Mark. I have in mind to do some based on the pueblo style of pottery ay some point so interesting you mention the Native American styles. Whilst i do love oriental styles and forms I have found that some don't translate to wood easily and the Grecian and other forms have a wide variety to look at as well. May be a daft idea but I want to try and make some that look like some of the artifacts found including the wear and tear. I did a few amphora recently which whilst not perfect I was quite pleased with the overall effect. Just seen a gorgeous sea urchin that has give me ideas as well LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities