Author Topic: Coral  (Read 2485 times)

GREEN MAN

Coral
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:42:47 PM »
So called because I think it looks like a anemone/urchin that you would find on a coral reef.

This is another Robinia burr turned green some 5-6 weeks ago.  It has obviously turned slightly out of round but I think this adds to the 'organic sea like appearance' of this piece.  The texture of the burr has also crinkled whilst drying to give a leathery feel.

This one measures 9" x 5" oiled and buffed. I hope you like it.

C & C gratefully received

Kind regards

David

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Coral
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 06:05:45 AM »
I suspect that piece is very tactile....I for one would love to handle it! The textures in the first picture are amazing and I found myself staring at it, imagining all sorts of creatures within the shapes.

It gets a tentacle up from me!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »
David,

In you first post you said you had something special to show us when it was ready, I've waited patiently and boy was it worth it.

Les sums it up when he says he'd love to handle this. It looks not only extremely well turned and finished but your choice of name 'Coral'  goes further and gives it an organic life beyond the wood its made from.

Dare I say the first image is so organic its slightly disconcerting to look at, but at the same time, you don't want to look away.

2 posts, 2 great pieces, please don't make us wait too long for you next posting.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 03:08:27 PM »

You have certainly captured something there David...... Extremely Impressive.
     Tony & Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 06:59:37 PM »
Technically this one is beyound me, which adds to the intrigue.
I don't understand how it can be turned on the lathe, as it appears to have several axies?  - surely this has not
 been hollowed internally as well?
A lovely piece.
      Haggy

GREEN MAN

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 09:08:23 PM »
Thank you all for taking the time out to pass your comments on this one.

Les - Thank you for your comments, it is one of those tactile pieces that you just want to pick up. I think that is more down to the beauty of the wood rather than any skill of mine!  I hope things in the shop are working out really well for you.

Bryan - Thank you for your kind encouraging comments.  I'm afraid the 'something special' piece that I mentioned isn't this one (as it is still drying at the moment).  I am currently exploring pieces that full of voids/holes and although this is difficult to explain, the pieces are more 'hole that wood'.  (If that makes any sense)!  I don't think they will be everybody's cup of tea but I'm quite enjoying making them. I hope some of them will be dry within the next couple of weeks, so keep your eyes peeled!

Tony & Di - Thank you for your positive comment, it means a lot coming from you. I am pleased you like it.

Haggy - Thank you for your comment. This piece was turned on the lathe and is hollowed out!  It was turned from wood that was still quite green, so all the movement you see has happened during the drying process.  (Rather than any rechucking and multi axis work). Nice to see you posting on here again!

Many thanks again to you all

Kind regards

David

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 11:59:07 PM »
Well turned David, that's a lovely bit of tuning on a great bit of wood mate. Les

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 07:04:21 AM »
lovely item
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 07:34:49 AM »
David I'm with the others this is one great looking piece, pieces like this really work as they dry out and bring something else to the turning.

You could have sitting centre of your living room for all to share much better than looking at the TV  :)

Ed

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 05:29:19 PM »
Fantastic piece of wood, beautifully turned to really show off the character of the wood.  Can't really ask for more than that.