Author Topic: Horse Chestnut Hollow Form  (Read 2652 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Horse Chestnut Hollow Form
« on: May 04, 2015, 08:32:35 AM »
Found this highly figured piece of Horse Chestnut so turn a small hollow form 140mm tall x 180mm diameter it has a wall thickness of around 4mm opening is 25mm finished with Danish oil

C & C's welcome

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Horse Chestnut Hollow Form
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:46:55 AM »
Hi Edd.

This form does not work for me I find the shoulers are a bit too low and just outside the thirds rule and I dont like the break in the flow at the foot.For my taste the base is better if it is tucked under.
I am usualy the odd one out so everybody else is sure to like it.
I am used to seeing your work on FB and like 90% of it so that aint bad

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:10:39 AM »
George obviously has much more experience than me but I like the shape, and a gorgeous bit of wood.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 09:55:30 AM »
Beautiful piece Ed,lovely figuring,but beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say,so no doubt you will get mixed comments as we always do on here,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 02:57:13 PM »
lovely finish and great skill to turn through a 25mm hole on such tough wood i would think - Can i ask what hollowing tool you use?
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »

This seems to be a form we have seen you do before ED.... and recognizable as a ED Piece  :) :).
    You have achieved a lovely finish on this very rich horse chestnut.. ( dark for horse chestnut ) :)
    Very skilfully done.
     Regards Tony & Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 04:03:18 PM »
Well turned Ed. I'm not a big fan of the shape of this one but it has every thing going for it. It's a lovely bit of wood and you have got a great finish on it. So well done Les

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 05:25:51 PM »
I like this.  Cracking piece of wood and beautiful finish.  Shape......a few months back I'd have loved it, but now I don't find it as elegant as some, which is solely a reflection of the extremely high standard of work that gets shown on here.  All that said, light years ahead of what I can do and if I ever turn one similar I will be one hugely happy chappy  ;D ;D

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 08:21:06 PM »
Thank you all for your comments  :) :)

George I could have put money on you not liking the form as I have done pieces like this before and you were not a fan, I do take on board your thoughts and will try a piece in the future that is in more style of design you describe.

Steve  it was hollowed with the new Simon Hope mini hollowing set https://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/product/simon-hope-6mm-mini-carbide-box-set/

Tony & Di I'm not a timber expert but was told that the slab was Horse Chestnut for the most part it's much whiter with some burr, this is off that slab but it's much browner and has worm and splits and all sorts going on so it could be something else.

Ed