General Category > General Discussion

Turning Canary?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Andy Coates:
I'd say Berberis. I student of mine, who is a garden designer, recently brought me some small branches of it. Turns well but I don't know how long the colour lasts.

theblindwoodturner:
Berberis has a tendency to lose colour after about 6 months or so depending on conditions and turning applications, etc. I've worked with it before and the best way to keep the colour is to emphasise with a bit of spirit dye or wood colour etc. then you should be laughing.

berberis does have a slight downfall however. sometimes it can change from dense to open grain and back depending on atmospheric conditions. however it's a nice wood and I would love to get my hands on some large pieces again.

BrianH:
Thanks for the thinking-cap sessions everybody. My money is now on Berberis. I have, since I last posted, turned a couple of experimental...that means no sanding or finishing!... bits and bobs and after two days exposure the yellow is still evident but much less vivid. I have also noticed that my bits have had a tendancy towards cracking, even though they were cut 'reet thin'. Time will tell whether this is a tendancy of the wood or whether I turned bits of the log that had been wrenched or otherwise abused by the builder who, incidentally, was felling the stump with a panel saw. Rather him than me.   
Brian

ken rodgers:
I agree it is most likely to be Berberis
On the few ocassions of turning this I found the wood and colour to remain stable.
I have got a couple of bottle stoppers that I made almost two years ago which were sealed with sanding sealer ( 50% diluted) and polished with friction polish - and the colour has not changed.
Ken

John D Smith:
Hi Brian, It seems as though I am on my own about this wood I still maintain it is Mahonia, do you have a picture you could post prior to turning showing the bark and some leaves.Regards John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version