Author Topic: My first day's teaching  (Read 1963 times)

GREEN MAN

My first day's teaching
« on: May 16, 2015, 06:11:05 PM »
Just finished my first day teaching a complete novice to woodturning.  This is not something I want to get into but was a birthday gift for a friend to a friend - one of those situations where however hard you try 'no' is simply not accepted.

Being self taught I was worried about how to structure the day so I downloaded the AWGB 'Lets Teach Turning' DVD which proved to be a great basis for the day.  We did some spindle turning in the morning turning beads and coves and in the afternoon turned a small elm bowl.

We both got a lot out of the day - its great to see the buzz of excitement in someone when they get the cut just right and the swell of pride in taking their first bowl home to show their friends!

Many thanks to the AWGB team who produced this excellent DVD it provided a great basis for a safe, enjoyable and productive first days teaching - we didn't have a catch all day even using the skew  :)

Kind regards

David

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: My first day's teaching
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:22:33 AM »
Great to hear it went well David - Thanks for the feedback

Cheers Dave

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: My first day's teaching
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 08:00:42 AM »
well done David glad to hear all went well,must have been a bit of a confidense boost at the end of the day for both of you,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world