Author Topic: spirit stain  (Read 3375 times)

Offline iantivenan

• copper
spirit stain
« on: May 22, 2015, 08:45:32 PM »
Hi all
Could I mix a few drops of spirit stain with danish oil to highlight the grain on an oak vase, or would it not be compatible.
Thanks Ian.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: spirit stain
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 08:47:03 PM »
Try it.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »
As george says 'Try it.'

I'll add that although I've never worked out what spirit stain uses as a base, I've successfully thinned it with both Meths and Cellulose thinners. Neither work against danish oil, but you could use either instead of the oil if you wished.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 04:55:37 AM »
The reason I ask is, I once made an oak bowl and highlighted the grain using black spirit stain, without making the whole thing black, but unfortunately I can't remember what I mixed it with.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 08:49:12 AM »
I've lightened Chestnut spirit stain with maths and obtained a lighter colour and transparent too. I haven't used it with Danish oil though. Hope that helps. Malcolm.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 01:01:16 PM »
If you want to highlight the grain of the wood without completely losing it in the colour, I would recommend using a dye instead of a stain. I have had very good results with Kemtex dyes. These are meant for fabrics, but they work a treat on wood, too. Also, I would always do the colour first, then seal the grain, and then apply the finish.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 07:55:57 AM »
Hi all
Could I mix a few drops of spirit stain with danish oil to highlight the grain on an oak vase, or would it not be compatible.
Thanks Ian.

Why NOT ask the manufacturer of the Spirit Stain?

MCB

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »
Depending on the wood I have wiped spirit stain on ash and coloured it all over when dry give it a sand and it has highlighted the grain. If I find a photo of it I will post. Found it this is no master piece just done to experiment.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:26:13 PM by Derek »