Author Topic: School work  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
School work
« on: June 04, 2015, 06:56:19 AM »
It is that time of year when school teachers have to assess their pupils work, so here is one of our projects completed by 16 year olds.
It will seem 'old hat' to most but we have been on a fascinating journey to achieve these seemingly simple results.  The carbon fibre pen was the most challenging.
I will post a couple of other turned projects if people are interested.
Finally, it important you should know if it wasn't for the AWGB this work would have not taken place (it is along story).
             Regards
                       Haggy

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
Re: School work
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 07:26:37 AM »
Lovely use of different materials - well done your lot!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 07:51:27 PM »
I own and write with 2 fountain pens but there re two pens here I would gladly own, the buffalo horn 'dip pen', a reminder of my early job as a draftsman (before CAD) and the Carbon Fibre one, it just looks so technical.

But congratulations to all the makers, they have something they can use and treasure (apart from your teaching) for years to come.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »
Thanks for your comments Eddie and Brian.  I will pass them on.
Several practice pens were turned prior to the students making the final ones.
The carbon fibre pen was first cast in PU resin and then epoxy.  We found that it tended to delaminates with PU.  The buffalo pen proved the most difficult to turn and went airborne and survived.
I will be taking some of the students to see AWGB work at our  Loughborough seminar.  They will be blown away by it!
     Haggy

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 01:45:51 PM »
its amazing how quickly kids pick up turning,some of them have a real gift at it.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 05:05:33 PM »
Haggy I think you and your students should be congratulated. You for inspiring the next generation to explore further than a computer screen and your students for producing what many older turners would aspire to let alone what their (student's) peers would.
       They have experienced something which they will remember for the rest of their lives and they will remember you too as it is only the inspirational teachers  that kids remember.
 Well done to all involved.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 07:34:19 PM »
Haggy I think you and your students should be congratulated. You for inspiring the next generation to explore further than a computer screen and your students for producing what many older turners would aspire to let alone what their (student's) peers would.
       They have experienced something which they will remember for the rest of their lives and they will remember you too as it is only the inspirational teachers  that kids remember.
 Well done to all involved.

Seconded with knobs on (boy that dates me LOL)

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
Thank you Pete, Eric and the BHT for your words of encouragement.
I am lucky to get the chance to teach something I love and to be able to tap into knowledge of you people.  Love reading about your adventures Eric.  I wanted to post this work because it  happened as a result of the knowledge gained from this website-I don't think people realise.
    Haggy