Author Topic: 22" wall hanging platter in English Elm  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
22" wall hanging platter in English Elm
« on: May 31, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »
It was a very special day when I found the board that this platter came from! I cut out a 22" blank, which is too big to go over the bed on my lathe, so had to turn it with the headstock swivelled, but that's a problem because access from the end of my lathe is a bit restricted. With such a special piece of wood I wanted the finished thing to be more than just another platter, and I'm working on an idea of using a 1/4" diameter decorative leather thong to hide a securing copper wire going around a burr that I'm about to turn, so this was the chance to try something out. The cabochon of stone is a 2" jasper agate, the colour of which goes well with the elm.

Finished with a few coats of microcrystaline, machine buffed.

C&C always welcome....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: 22" wall hanging platter in English Elm
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 06:03:23 PM »
very nice les one of my favourite woods

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 06:21:09 PM »
Lovely piece Les and again you have added your own personal touch making it something special

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 07:48:01 PM »
Very nice, Les. Lovely piece of wood with your very own special,touch to complete it. Malcolm.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:40:22 PM »
A well thought out piece, and great grain which you have brought out well in the design of it.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »

Another piece finished with true finesse Les..... Great tool work used to keep the sharp lines.
    Tony & di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

GREEN MAN

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 07:18:41 PM »
A great piece of work there Les

You would need a fair sized table or even a wall to display that one!

I wonder if you thought about adding more cabochon's at 3,6 and 9 o'clock positions?

Probably just personal taste but I would have tried to make the beads more pronounced and rounded like the leather thong. In the pictures they seem a bit flattish (but maybe that is just the photos).

A great piece to be proud of

Kind regards

David

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 08:05:14 PM »
Les,

Your ability to see 'beyond', to not only form a shape but deliver that little bit more with every project never ceases to amaze me.

I really love this piece.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. I had great fun making this and learnt a bit along the way. I must admit that as it progressed, I had the feeling that it was going to turn out well. I needed the grain to be reasonably well balanced and was lucky that there was just enough feature in it to keep it looking good, but to retain the understated effect that I was after.
...I wonder if you thought about adding more cabochon's at 3,6 and 9 o'clock positions?....
Definitely not....there was a plan in my mind, from the very outset, to add simple, but effective embellishment to this beautiful piece of wood; the stone and the leather are there to support the wood, any more and I feel that they would have taken over.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 09:29:27 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. I had great fun making this and learnt a bit along the way. I must admit that as it progressed, I had the feeling that it was going to turn out well. I needed the grain to be reasonably well balanced and was lucky that there was just enough feature in it to keep it looking good, but to retain the understated effect that I was after.
...I wonder if you thought about adding more cabochon's at 3,6 and 9 o'clock positions?....
Definitely not....there was a plan in my mind, from the very outset, to add simple, but effective embellishment to this beautiful piece of wood; the stone and the leather are there to support the wood, any more and I feel that they would have taken over.

Les

Don't make the mistake I make sometimes in other words....adding one embellishment too many. LOL

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

GREEN MAN

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 10:21:35 PM »
Fair points and fair play to you both (Les & Pete)

I have yet to get into embellishing any of my work - so I don't really know what I'm talking about but I did want to comment on this great piece.

In hindsight my suggestion would have made it look like a clock face which would have definitely been wrong for this piece of timber.

I would just have stuck another two in at 4 and 8 o'clock instead - Only Joking  ;D ;D

Kind regards

David

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 01:47:07 PM »
NICE.
welcome to my woodturning world