Author Topic: Club insurance policies  (Read 3317 times)

lest44

Club insurance policies
« on: June 02, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »
Hi, I am trying to get the general thoughts on the types of insurance a Club should have.  Our club has the All Risks policy to cover the clubs equipment and the AWGB arranged Public and product liability insurance.  We do not have our own premises, just hire a Village Hall. It has been discussed at our recent committee meeting whether we ought to have a Directors and Officers insurance policy to protect the committee.  What's does your club have? Do you think this needed or just an over kill. Also does anyone know if the AWGB have a model club constitution as I can't find one on the site? Thanks.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Club insurance policies
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 09:09:19 PM »
Yes there is a sample constitution in the startup pack. Email me if you want a copy.

We can't can't comment on insurance matters but Tennyson are there to help if you have any queries.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
We looked at Directors and Officers policies and found they were exceedingly expensive. Our legal advice also was that, at the time of the consultation, we did not need such insurance. We still do not have it.

You should try and get some quotes and also consider what you are trying to protect your directors/officers against. This is the procedure we took but each club should consider their own position.
David
At The Cutting Edge

lest44

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 10:02:43 PM »
Hi Paul, thanks, I will email you. I was not asking the AWGB to advise on insurance as I know you can't, it was more about getting other clubs around the country to say what they have got and their opinions.

David, thanks for your reply. Our initial look into this found the same.  Personally, I think we could spend the money better in other ways and loath giving the insurance companies money that we would unlikely ever need to claim on. It's more for piece of mind, but a thorough risk assessment should address and take whatever actions are needed to ensure we don't get the problems in the first place.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 10:44:40 PM »
"but a thorough risk assessment should address and take whatever actions are needed to ensure we don't get the problems in the first place."
Atta boy!

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 10:05:04 AM »
We meet in a village hall. Our equipment is stored in a locked room. We have PL insurance. We no longer insure our equipment saving £500 a year.  We've started to build up a reserve insurance fund from the saving. Should have done it years ago. We'd be rolling in it.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 01:32:59 PM »
We do some outside events so feel we need to insure our equipment. Most of the time it is locked away at our venue or at members homes but with about 6-8 outside events, we feel cover is necessary.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 01:42:58 PM »
So do we but only take a limited amount of equipment, and have never suffered any loss. Don't take the A/V or all nine lathes.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 01:48:49 AM »
Tony,
If you took advantage of the AWGB insurance you could insure all your equipment (£12k cover) for £60 per year.

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 10:01:01 AM »
Interesting. However I find the Zurich policy much too complicated. It is just about possible to make sense of the Craftsman Policy. We will at least have saved £60 which in these times of high costs and falling membership is a must.