Author Topic: A Natural Sculpture  (Read 4882 times)

GREEN MAN

A Natural Sculpture
« on: June 06, 2015, 08:07:07 PM »
No carving, no piercing, no embellishing.

Just off the tree - onto the lathe - seasoned - finish applied.

In my eyes you can't get a more enjoyable, simple and natural way to show off British timbers at their best.

Yew 6" x 7" oil and wax finish.  C&C always welcome.

Kind regards

David

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: A Natural Sculpture
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:16:06 PM »
Very nice well done.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »
Great piece David,very satisfying doing stuff like this I find,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 06:14:29 AM »
Yew never cease to amaze me! ;)

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 08:23:39 AM »

Very Skilfully Done David...... A great Piece To View.
      Tony & Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 08:38:38 AM »
one of the most pleasing items i have seen for a while.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 09:27:16 AM »
...and something else, that none of us has commented on yet....well photographed!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 01:08:09 PM »
A sterling piece of work, the form and finish are really worthy of that piece of Yew.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

GREEN MAN

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 07:29:39 PM »
Many thanks to you all for taking the time to comment on this piece. I am pleased that you seem to like this one.

Les - I put all my photography abilities down to you.  I haven't worked out how to do links yet but a while ago you posted some very useful advice on 'Taking Photo's' (This is on page 21 on General Discussion) so thank you for all the useful tips  :)

Many thanks again for all your comments

Kind regards

David

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »
David, this is an impressive piece! -I'm interested to know what method you've used to finish the inside and approximately how long did that take.

I just recently scrapped off a similar roughed HF in Acacia due to the thought of the time it would take to finish the inside, though the natural 'openings' were smaller.

Tom

GREEN MAN

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 08:03:01 PM »
Hello Tom

Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to comment.

As far as my method for finishing the inside - After hollowing with whatever tool I'm using, I then switch to a very small tear-drop scraper head to clean up as many tooling marks as I can.  On a piece like this the scraper did quite a good job but did bounce around near the holes so there were still a few marks inside.

After seasoning I then use a very small sanding arbor on a drill bit extension (poking it through the holes).  The arbor is covered with a soft foam pad to mould to the inside shape. I then power sand with the drill through all the normal grits.  I sometimes use those screwdriver flexi drive rods which bend to get to the hard-to-reach areas.  I suppose this sanding took another couple of hours for the inside and outside.

I know some people paint the inside of such pieces black - to show of more of the outside.  When there is just one or two small holes I think this does work.  On some of my pieces the holes/voids are quite large, so there is as much to see on the inside.  On these pieces I always try to sand the inside to get it as good as the outside.  I know its a lot of hassle but I think its worth it on some pieces.

Make sure you show us this Acacia H/F in the gallery when you have finished it.  I for one would love to see it.

Kind regards

David

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 12:35:33 PM »
You're most welcome David, thank you for the response and info.

I think I would have taken the same approach to such a piece.

Re. Holely Acacia HF - when I say scrapped off, I mean kept me warm for a few minuets... :) Sorry, though I do have several other roughed out Acacia items to finish, which when/if I can, I will show.

I think because my time available to make pieces is so limited I have become extremely picky about which ones 'make the grade', also the reason I don't post much.

Cheers,
Tom

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 08:09:05 PM »

Very impressive piece and no problems getting the shaving out nor checking thickness.

Do like it.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 04:49:21 PM »
Hi GREENMAN, That is a pretty interesting piece , not seen it's like before , as others have said well photographed , and it is apparent that a lot of time and effort went in to finishing the interior , and I certainly agree with your opinion that if the holes are large then just painting it black is not so good , I rarely turn a piece with such large holes and I usually paint the interior black , as someone said "it is easier to clear shavings and judge thickness "  .. this is true .. however tool control and the fragility of the unbalanced work can  make it more difficult / skilled   so well done and thanks for sharing .... terry ...

GREEN MAN

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 07:30:56 PM »
Hello David (woodndesign) Thank you for your positive comments, I am pleased you like it, nice to hear from you again and yes the holes certainly help in removing the shavings!

Hello Terry (TWiG) I am pleased this form has caught your eye as I have long admired your work. Thank you for taking the time to comment.  I shall now continue this conversation on your thread 'A few bits of beech'

Kind regards

David