Author Topic: Timber bears the scent of the earth!  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Timber bears the scent of the earth!
« on: June 15, 2015, 08:25:09 AM »
In the early weeks of having the shop running, we were thinking of having our own logo or slogan. Many customers remarked on the lovely smell of timber as they walked through the door, so that got us thinking. Not being the most poetic of souls (I was once struck with a ruler by a teacher who was unimpressed by my efforts) we decided to ask a local poet to come to the shop, soak up the atmosphere, talk about what we were aiming to do, then go away and dream up a slogan.
I won't go too deeply into the nature of traditional forms of Welsh verse, but in simple terms there is a format called a cynghanedd, which has very specific forms of alliteration, scanning and meter. Thus our poet wrote us a 'first line'....this is what he came up with....
Sawr y pridd sy ar y pren
....but you'll mostly be interested in the translation, which reads
Timber bears the scent of the earth

We're really happy with his work and think that it fits well with our needs, so we had it made up into vinyl letters and it now reads right across the shop window, at head height.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Timber bears the scent of the earth!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 08:54:24 AM »
Very fitting. Hope we get to see it in a couple of weeks .and of course smell it LOL

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 09:11:17 AM »
...Hope we get to see it in a couple of weeks .and of course smell it...

Ha ha! We move in a fresh bedding of wood shavings around some of the displays to keep the smell fresh.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 09:16:52 AM »
Beautiful Les, you deserve to succeeed.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 01:27:19 PM »
You could do with some of that Aromatic Redwood I had, I can still smell it in my workshop now.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 07:30:06 PM »
Hi Les,
         What a great idea I hope one day if I am down you way to call in and see this gallery of yours I might even make a day out down there. I am sure you are going the right way to make a success of this business and I wish you all the luck in the World.
On thing I did when I made some pens from Jack Daniels oak barrels was to keep the shavings put them in a small phial also save the small bit of wood that was cut off the end of the blank then give this to whoever purchased the pen it was popular.

Regards John
John Smith