Author Topic: Hot Wired  (Read 3285 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Hot Wired
« on: June 24, 2015, 12:00:03 AM »
Hot Wired is 130mm tall x 230mm diameter wall thickness is around 3mm. The hollow form has been HMG sprayed black and then coloured using copper gilt cream to give the effect of copper wire wrapped around the hollow form. Top is textured.

C&C's welcome and don't worry about being negative it's an experiment :)

Thanks

Ed 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:02:02 AM by edbanger »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Hot Wired
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 06:01:57 AM »
Hi Ed....even with your blessing, I wouldn't wish to be negative - just constructive.

As a form, I think it's great. The profile shows a pleasing, flowing line right around it. The textures intrigues me and certainly does give the impression of copper windings.

So all seems well until I ask myself, 'Why wood'? I've had this concept stuck in my mind for years. I've always believed that the wood should be visible, even if only in part, but for some reason I can see, looking at this piece, that you had both a form and a texture in mind, so the answer to my question, 'Why wood'? is simple. Wood is what we work in. Wood is the medium that we can shape. We can't shape a piece of plastic, or clay, or metal into this form as the necessary skills are not transferable, so we start off with a piece of wood. What you've ended up with is a celebration of form and texture - the fact that it's made of wood is not relevant, not important. I think I just realised that sometimes I need to see the form instead of to look for the grain.

Cheers, Ed.....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »
I like it but to satisfy them that like to see some wood I suppose you could leave the top untextured or coloured.
Personally I would leave it as it is as I often totally cover the wood I think this will always be the subject of discussion.
Maybe we should start a new thread on it

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:03:12 AM »
I agree Les. Wood id the medium that we work in hopefully to make something that is considered beautiful and / or useful. Only time I have a problem is perhaps where someone totally covers a wood with fantastic colouring, figure etc. But the shape, design etc is the first and foremost thing to look for.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 09:09:58 AM »
I love it. It's one of those pieces that I long to hold in my hand to feel the texture of the surface. I don't care about not seeing the wood any longer. Plus, I am pretty sure that if I had a close look at the opening in the top, I would be able to see that it's wood.

Question (sorry if this sounds ignorant): what is HMG?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 10:00:15 AM »
HMG = hot melt glue and yes if you were to look in the top you would see wood sanded to the same finish as you would with the outside.

I have gone down the path of covering the whole of the outside for a couple of reasons, firstly I have a stock of blanks that have split so not much better than firewood, but a guy at our club Bj Norman inspired me to do this type of work when he was displaying at a show with many decorated pieces. What he was doing is wet turning and storing the pieces until dry and he was able to finish them, but some would have split so rather than throw them he filled them and decorated them and found he could sell them for more than the plain wood equivalent.

With this in mind I've been using up the firewood blanks.

The second reason is I enjoy the process of decorating my work as much as the woodturning. Don't worry if I've got a nice piece of wood I won't be covering it but I might add a bit of colour  :)

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 12:54:11 PM »
Ed,

I liked the previous gilded HMG idea you showed us so much I had to have a go myself - and posted.

This one, the form's shape is so much better (to my eyes, I understand people see things differently) but the creation of a wire wrapped/textured form from it really works.

You say it's only an experiment, but it works for me.

And that is one of the strengths of this forum, we do post things we try, GBF reciently, I've certainly done it (and have one I must post soon). Keep it up and push the direction your travelling in.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 02:22:10 PM »

Well Mr Ed As you know we like to see something different and this is just that ...... Its good to see you exploring the
   possibilities of the different effects you can achieve with Hot Melt Glue. You have taken this piece  up a few notches and we are
   sure your imagination will not stop here. Like it
   Regards Di & Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 04:19:50 PM »
Whatever floats your boat.  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 07:14:06 AM »
Thanks all for your feedback  :)

All the best

Ed